What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filter airbox

rph142

Well Known Member
I finally finished my custom filter air box. The process was fairly simple. I turned down a block of foam on a lathe then laid up 3 plies of carbon. I then bonded the cone to a disc of G10 with a hole in the center large enough for the mesh of the cone filter. The base was then laid up over the cone using a combination of carbon and G10 with a hole in the center equal to the FM150 inlet hole. The base bolts to the injector using four 1/4-20 bolts and the cone then bolts to the base using four an3 bolts. The rubber filter flange is sandwiched between the base and cone. It ended up fitting nicely in my enlarged Sam James scoop.

Attachments

• IMG_9275.jpg
    IMG_9275.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
This pretty much wraps up the build. The final step is W&B before the DAR visits.
IMG_9228.jpg

Very nice, Rob. I’m looking at doing something similar, how do you allow for engine movement at the scoop/cowl interface? Clearly your eager assistant was helpful in the build, I could use one of those too.:D
Congrats!

Rob,

What are you doing for Alternate Engine Air?
Which air filter are you using?

I’m working an RV-10 James Cowl for a Cold Air Sump IO-540.

Carl

I ended up enlarging the scoop. It fixed a number of issues. The clearance between the mixture arm was marginal, the original profile didn’t have the organic curve I wanted, and there wasn’t enough room for a large filter airbox that could provide ram air boost.

I’m using the k&n E-0995. This arrangement doesn’t have alt air. Alt air geometry would be too hard to make by hand so eventually I’m going to design a new box in CAD then 3d print a mockup then moulds or the part all together if I can find a cheap enough sls service.

IMG_8757.jpg

Last edited:
Back