What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filling the empennage tip fairings???

Paul 5r4

Well Known Member
In the builders manual it's rather confusing. The page with the suggested techniques for filling in the rudder and HS tip fairings states:

The open ends of the following empennage tip farings must be closed:

RV-7 and RV-8: Elevator and rudder
RV-9 Horizontal and Vertical stabilizers

The open ends of the RV-7 and RV-8 horizontal stabilizer tip fairings may be closed if desired.

You see it's stating one place to close them and the next line it's only if desired!!! I'm building the 7A so does this even apply to me? I know it would look better if all closed up but my concern is what ever one puts in there could eventually come loose in flight causing a control interferance issue. I really think I would rather leave mine open. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Paul Gray
Foley, Alabama
RV-7 QB
Tail section completed.

Last edited:
The aft end of the vertical and horizontal stabilizer tips do not have to be filled in. I think they will look better if they are, YMMV.

The leading edge tips of the elevator and the rudder do need to be filled in. Of course, the rudder LE is already closed up with the factory fiberglass.

From what I understand, the left picture needs to be filled in and the right picture, the channels don't. I assume anytime you have fiberglass ends open, they can't hardly be strong enough where the metal channels are fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I do think I'll try to seal up everything if I get ambitious. They do look nice filled.
airplanepics009he3.jpg
airplanepics010fb7.jpg

Paul 5r4 said:
The open ends of the following empennage tip farings must be closed:

RV-7 and RV-8: Elevator and rudder
RV-9 Horizontal and Vertical stabilizers

The open ends of the RV-7 and RV-8 horizontal stabilizer tip fairings may be closed if desired.
On the elevator, the front of the tip is filled with the counterbalance lead. The tip on the rudder is already closed. I think they tried to say the tip on the vertical stabilizer needs to be closed and the tips on the horzontal stabilzer needs to be closed. I didn't think it was confusing until now. Now I'm confused. To me, it would be stupid to leave the leading edge tips open. (left pic)

This is from Dan's most excellent website:

20031231_filled_hs_tip.jpg

They are not talking about filling in the channel, just the backside of the tip. I plan to stick a piece of balsa wood in there and then glass over it.

Another shot:

20040105_fitting_elevator_tips.jpg

BTW, Your eleavator tips will be different from Dan's. Different style counter weights.

Last edited:
Confusing?

VAN's directions are directed at different parts that should not be confused.
The tips on the horizontal and vertical STABILIZERS may be closed if you desire. This is because the open ends face aft and do not need to be closed.
The open leading edges on the ELEVATORS and RUDDER tips do face forward, into the relative wind and must be closed. If you do not close these, they could blow off in flight.
Most builders elect to fill in the open ends of all tips; however, I have seen some that are left open on the horiz & vert stabs. I left them open on my RV6, which was common back in the 90's.
Hope that helps clarify the confusion.

Back