What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filler question

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
Im getting close to putting the tips on the empenage and want to use a filler like the construction manual says. When it comes to the foam insert are most guys using fiberglass then micro ballons for the final finish. Also what are the best products to use..

Thank's Gents

Hi Mark,
I started with Aeropoxy products and think they work very well. But about a year ago I switched to West Systems because they are more convenient to use. The graduated pump kit that screws into the containers makes the entire job VERY easy. No measuring or weighing...just count the number of pumps for part 1 and make part 2 match.

For the tips I cut a piece of balsa wood and shaped it to fit...then covered it with 2 layers of fiberglass. It's not really a structural area so it doesn't need to be super strong. After the epoxy was cured, you can add filler...choose your favorite one. Again, I started with Aeropoxy filler, but never thought it sanded that easily. So I switched to West Systems and added micro-balloons. Sands very easy and preparation is easy, too.

Hi Mark,
I started with Aeropoxy products and think they work very well. But about a year ago I switched to West Systems because they are more convenient to use. The graduated pump kit that screws into the containers makes the entire job VERY easy. No measuring or weighing...just count the number of pumps for part 1 and make part 2 match.

For the tips I cut a piece of balsa wood and shaped it to fit...then covered it with 2 layers of fiberglass. It's not really a structural area so it doesn't need to be super strong. After the epoxy was cured, you can add filler...choose your favorite one. Again, I started with Aeropoxy filler, but never thought it sanded that easily. So I switched to West Systems and added micro-balloons. Sands very easy and preparation is easy, too.

Sonny,

Thanks for the info. I'll check A/C spruce for some.

Used West systems

Epoxy,

But for the filler I got a gallon of Evercoat rage Gold from the local automotive store. Its a really nice filler..Get a gallon cus you'll need half a gallon, then you can give the rest to a buddy doing his RV like I did.

Frank

Back