What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

filler primer

Hi All,

Has anyone used Evercoat Featherfill over Polyfiber's Superfil? I am killing time until my fuse comes (soon) filling my emp fairings. I already have the Superfil applied. I am looking at Polyfiber's UV smoothprime instructions and have talked to their rep about what I am doing. Since the smoothprime is water based the rep said to not use it on bare aluminum. Since I am feathering it to the aluminum it seems as though there would be some overlap. The featherfil (a polyester product) can be applied to aluminum as far as I can tell and seems much easier to use.

Is there something I am missing? Any better ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,
We have had better luck with either PPG's K-38 (a urethane product that should be available locally) or WLS epoxy filler primer (available through Lancair or directly from WLS in California).
I would avoid the Smoothprime for sure. If you do choose to use a polyester product, the Evercoat would be my choice, but I avoid them because they are quite prone to absorb water.

Brad Simmons
Airframes Inc.
Milan, TN
731-686-3610

Thanks, I'll look into those. I've never done body work on a car let alone a plane. The results I get when trying to feather drywall have me nervous about my feathering. I have a spare VS to practice on so I'll pick a filler primer and test my results before going too far with my emp fairings.

Thanks again,

Bill

Try Evercoat Quantum

Bill, here is a link to a new Everco product that you can apply over glass or aluminum which makes for a great way to blend glass to aluminum. Sets very fast, sands to fine finish. Epoxy based so it goes well under almost anything. They make it in a putty and glazing fill compound. Available at most auto refinish suppliers.

http://www.evercoat.com/productCategory.aspx?cat=1

My process is quantum on glass and alumimum which tends to fill most pinholes and bridge the overlap areas. Glaze coat of neat epoxy. Then whatever finish process you choose.

Wonderfil from Loehe makes a great wipe on wipe off pinhole filler. Similar product available from Akzo.

Bill S
7a finishing

Bill

We can can become too particular over specialized products.

Filling pin holes -- just use EZPoxy or Safepoxy or West Systems with some micro stirred into it. It should be about peanut butter consistancy

Deeper filling -- Evercoat kitty hair Sands easily. available at the local autobody store.

Primer K36 -- 2 part Dupont product . also readily available at auto places.

Looks like I have many options. Too many really. If the fuselage comes in the next couple of weeks I might just store the parts as they are with the superfil sanded. So I guess I'll be priming these in the next two weeks or two years from now. :)

Bill,

I had great success with Evercoat Metal Glaze but only for final skim and sand. I used Rage Gold for heavier buildup. I have to confess for pinholes Mike Loehle's Wonderfil is the stuff, http://www.loehle.com/ rub it in like paste wax, prime and sand and it's like magic....But I gotta tell you the path is long and filled with tons of dust...But after an hour and ahalf in her today on a beautiful Las Vegas afternoon....it's worth it!!

Superfil Wonderfil

I have just used Superfil to fill and smooth the transition between the cabin top and the aft aluminum and waistline longerons. It took three applications and sanding -- looking kind funny with the pink doors, blue Superfil, and green fiberglass cabin top :) Link to picture

I just got some of the Loehle Wonderfil (no relation to Superfil) to apply to all the various fiberglas pieces after I clean and vacuum them. I hear it's the way to go. Still haven't decided on how much priming I dare do or leave it to the professionals. I'm like you in not being too excited about my wallboard feathering technique, but with a couple of different grit sanding blocks the Superfil looks pretty good.

Doug.

Last edited:
The Wonderfill is great stuff. Works just like advertised if you follow the directions exactly. Works only on pin holes and the weird holes left in the pre-preg cowl surface. Anything larger and it won't fill em.

Can you use Wonderfil over Superfil?

I agree with Bill. This part is so confusing I don't even care to deal with it until I absolutely have to.

I got word from Tony that my fuselage will be here in about a week and a half. What I am doing now is finishing up the superfil and getting it sanded well enough so that it doesn't eat at me while it sits in storage. This will give me time to think and see more rvs at Sun n Fun and Oshkosh 2010. After that and reading what I have here I should be able to gain some confidence going forward. Leaving it as is with the superfil sanded but not primed will give me the ability to sand more, add more fil or leave it be as I see fit when the time comes.

Thanks for all the input,

Bill

Back