What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fifth Point Attachment

nodgnal51

I am currently at a point in the construction of the fuselage where fitting the attachment for the fifth point would be prudent, i.e. lots of room and nothing riveted to anything else. My problem is, I have not been able to find any examples of installations. Any thoughts would be very helpful and pictures even better.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

If you have an angle drill, it's really no problem to do it at a later stage since it's attached to the seat ribs with pulled rivets. However, it would be easiest to do when you're match drilling the center section (seat ribs to bulkheads and lower skins). The drawings that come with the fifth point kit will make everything more clear. Good luck.

Thanks Steve

Steve,
Thanks. I wasn't aware there was a kit from Vans. I assumed you needed to engineer and fabricate your own.

Steve.

Steve,
Thanks. I wasn't aware there was a kit from Vans. I assumed you needed to engineer and fabricate your own.

Steve.

Here it is:

5th pt. installation kit, RV-7/7A, RV-9/9A both seats
CROTCH STRAP KIT $32.00 $32.00
Total Price: $32.00

Does anyone have the plans?

I ordered a Hooker Harness set from one of the group buys, but looks like I'll need the plans or else roll my own. A PDF, or link would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

It is not the same (-7 and -9)

Here it is:

5th pt. installation kit, RV-7/7A, RV-9/9A both seats
CROTCH STRAP KIT $32.00 $32.00
Total Price: $32.00

Steve.... Reiley gave you a Vans kit number for a -7 or -9 plane.

Since this is in the RV-6 section, I presume you are working on a -6 plane. The center sections and seat ribs are different from the later -7/-9 planes.

I suggest you get some photos of specific -6 installations first, or confirm that the later kit will fit early -6 models...

Fifth Pt attach - RV6AQB

I'm in the same boat - bought the harnesses a decade ago - and there weren't plans. Would like to see photos of some finished installations 6/7/9 whatever to give me some ideas on how to finish mine...
Ralph Capen

The Kit will need to be modified

Steve.... Reiley gave you a Vans kit number for a -7 or -9 plane.

Since this is in the RV-6 section, I presume you are working on a -6 plane. The center sections and seat ribs are different from the later -7/-9 planes.

I suggest you get some photos of specific -6 installations first, or confirm that the later kit will fit early -6 models...

Hi Steve,

Gil is correct. The ribs are not quite the same distance from each other, plus you don't have the luxury of the match-drilling.

I'm building a -6 and have the crotch strap kit. I am installing it in a QB Fuselage. The left seat brackets will fit ok but the right seat brackets are too long and I will have to cut off the flanges on one side to shorten up the brackets. I have put a few photos on my photo website you can look at.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bakerfamilyenator/CrotchStrapKit

Good luck,

Last edited:
I retro-fitted the 7/9 brackets onto my flying 6 a couple years ago. As others have pointed out, they are not the same size and some fitting and cutting is required. In my case, it required cutting the brackets lengthwise and splicing them back together to make them about 1/4 inch wider. It is some work but it can be done.

FWIW- I should have put 5th points in when I built. After flying with them for a couple of years, I am convinced that no RV should fly without them. Even if you aren't doing aerobatics, the 5th point helps make up for the less-than-ideal lap belt geometry that causes the lap belts to ride up on your hips. The crotch strap holds everything in place and makes the whole seat belt system more comfortable, as well as much more effective, should it every be called upon to do it's job in a crash.

I tried using the Vans RV7/9 fifth point seat belt attach kit on my RV6 but the floor rib spacing on the 6 is slightly narrower than the 7/9 so I gave up on trying to make it fit and sent it back. I plan to copy what Randall Henderson did on his RV6. The link to pictures and description of how Randall did it can be seen at:

http://people.edt.com/randall/rvproject/interior.html

crotch strap bracket

I used the Vans RV7 kit in my RV6 QB , it went in fine, email me if you want pics
Peter Cavallo
I am currently at a point in the construction of the fuselage where fitting the attachment for the fifth point would be prudent, i.e. lots of room and nothing riveted to anything else. My problem is, I have not been able to find any examples of installations. Any thoughts would be very helpful and pictures even better.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Visit to Poplar Grove

Jeff,

When are you comming to Poplar Grove again to fly with Pappy, Bones and Taco? I would really like to discuss this with you. Do you have any pictures?

I am in the hangar just behind Bones.

Steve

Second thoughts

After reading all your helpful suggestions and viewing the pictures, I am thinking I will send the kit back and grow my own. I am not too impressed with the kit in terms of strength and if it takes some serious modification I might just as well use up some of the numerous bits of previous errors I have laying around the shop.

Any body else out there have pictures of a home made install? I would love to see them. Given the 200 plus views of this thread I'm not alone in trying to figure this one out, others might like to see them (the pics) as well.

Again Thanks to all,

Steve

After reading all your helpful suggestions and viewing the pictures, I am thinking I will send the kit back and grow my own. I am not too impressed with the kit in terms of strength and if it takes some serious modification I might just as well use up some of the numerous bits of previous errors I have laying around the shop.

Any body else out there have pictures of a home made install? I would love to see them. Given the 200 plus views of this thread I'm not alone in trying to figure this one out, others might like to see them (the pics) as well.

Again Thanks to all,

Steve

WOW... I will say this, for the chump change of 32.00 plus a little shipping order the kit and get an idea of the design. Then... sell the kit here to a 7 or 9 builder. MHO

Back