What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass

dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I need to begin some minor fiberglas work on the elevator tips and vertical stabilizer. From whom and what type of product would you suggest for materials including fiberglas, cloth, microfil, measuring devices, etc?

I just finished modifying my wheel pants and fine tuning my cowl. Look for a local supplier of industrial plastics, marine repair supplies, or an advanced hobby shop (expensive). These sorts of shops are fairly common in major centers, and more convenient than mail order. If you are lucky, you might even find a supplier who can provide advice on how to best use the products. If you have to mail order, Aircraft Spruce carries a complete line of fiberglass supplies. I highly recommend resin containers with pre-metered epoxy / hardener pumps, such as West Systems.

Jay

Local EAA chapter

I would advise connecting up with your local chapter and having one of their members who have done fiberglass teach you the tricks of the trade. Lots of the skills come from practice, so if you can learn from someone one on one you will save yourself lots of time.

Gary Specketer

Dennis, local/hands on experience would help a lot. When I was at that stage, I decided to wait until later in the build to do the tips. I knew there was going to be a lot more skills learning to be done and none of that is critical now. It was easier to do all the other work and then when I had the time to learn, research and practice, I did all the fiberglass tips at the end of the build.

Dennis,
West Systems epoxy works very well, there are a lot of filler selections to go with the epoxy, and for many, you can buy it locally at a boat supply store. They also have the pumps that take the mystery out of measuring resin and hardener. I've called the Gougeon Bros (WS) with questions about their products, and they were very helpful.

For cloth, I've used Thayercraft in NC and they have a great selection of all kinds of cloth at a good price. They are also a good source of info on what you may need. I wouldn't buy the cloth from the boat store based on my experience. You should always have some bi-directional cloth to handle the compound curves you'll experience with intersection fairings. I used 9 oz. cloth and it worked well - 2-4 layers, depending on needs. If it's too thick, or not satisfactory (bubbles) you can easily sand it down with good quality sandpaper. I get my sand paper at an automotive paint store here in Cincinnati. It's more expensive than Home Depot, but turns an hour of sanding into 20 minutes.

Good luck. There's no experience required with the kind of fiberglass work we do on RVs - non structural. If you don't like the results, just grind away what you don't like for a few minutes and do another layup. Your imagination on how to do this is your only limitation (or gift!).

I worked for a while on a Glasair II project I owned but sold it several years ago. Right now the glass work isn't intimidating me. However I forgot all about Gougeon Brothers. Their office is 5 miles from my home in Bay City MI. Totally forgot

Dennis, I am working in Lansing and will have to find time to come on over. I would love to go to the West System headquarters. I must have paid for half of it with the amount of their products I have used!

Back