What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass work on the wheel pants

Jettison

Few months ago, I bought a flying RV-7. I am finally getting around to fitting and installing the wheel pants. The directions call for a couple layers of fiberglass inside the pants to reinforce the bolt locations. What type of epoxy should be used?

Lots of RV guys and gals use the West System with their calibrated pumps.. I asked a local builder who does lots of composite work and he used Jeffco epoxy on Lancairs. That what I went with. I got the medium speed hardener, sometimes I wish I had slower hardener, definitely don’t want anything faster. I bought a cheap digital postal, scale from Amazon and I do the mix by weighing out the ratio (10 to 2.2).

Process

I used someone elses procedure.
Tape the bracket
Mount everything
Drill a couple acess holes big enough for the tip of a 20cc syringe. Mix up some flox. Inject it. Cure
The pad will be the exact thickness

I'm a believer in reinforcing the mounting holes. I had to repair all three wheel pants after landing at a pancake breakfast with the worst-maintained grass field in the state. Cracks at the fairings, cracks at all the mounting holes. I couldn't conveniently get anyone to fix them, so bit the bullet and just did it myself. I got a lot of advice here. After fixing the cracks, I reinforced the mounting holes with a couple of layers of twill weave 3K/220g carbon fiber on the inside (Amazon). I used West epoxy and mini-pump, with 207 slow hardener (Amazon). I had them re-painted at a local body shop using some kind of two-part poly, was careful to maintain the mounting hole locations so they were easy to re-drill and countersink when done. I used a mounted laser to double check. Worked out fine...I hate fiberglass work but this wasn't too bad as a winter project in my nice warm workshop.

//

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Hardener

Just to make sure the OP buys the right stuff.
205 is fast hardener
206 is slow
207 is Special Clear. Typically used to lay down a clear surface. I used it on my carbon fiber plenum.
Feel free to look at photos on my blog. Finishing Pages.

Few months ago, I bought a flying RV-7. I am finally getting around to fitting and installing the wheel pants. The directions call for a couple layers of fiberglass inside the pants to reinforce the bolt locations. What type of epoxy should be used?

Pretty much any kind of epoxy that is available locally in small amounts will work.
West is easy to work with and readily available, scrounge some from your mates.

Should have had a V8! (or posted my solution earlier)

Hey all,

I hade the same issue in a previous RV. I chose to embed a piece of aluminum into the aft wheelpant to solve this issue. The new plane has them too since I live on a grass strip. The plates are barely noticeable and have the added benefit of deleting the tinnerman washers. Next time I'll probably add a small one to the
fron pant too. So now you've got a plan 'B' to consider.

Regards, Lance

Small tidbit...it's routine to see countersunk screws in wheelpants, but there isn't much merit in terms of drag reduction, in particular when the screws are accompanied by big CS washers. A countersink generally results in a knife edge at the ID of the hole. Composites tend to demonstrate poor bearing strength, so a knife edge is really weak.

An AN526 provides full thickness bearing. A nylon washer protects the paint.

Attachments

• Screws in Fiberglass.jpg
    Screws in Fiberglass.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Wheelpant Screws.jpg
    Wheelpant Screws.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 223
Dan - I think it’s routine ‘cause that’s the way it has been done thousands of times and most of us are sheep.
Did you also reinforce where the brackets sit?

I reinforced the bracket area per plans and used flush screws with no tinneman for about 800 hours and then had one wear through. Added the tinneman washers and all is good.

However, the flat bracket does not fit the curvature of the wheel pant. I am just now starting to notice some slight “telegraphing” of the bracket edge on the outside of the pant. It’s structurally fine, for now, my guess being it just took a bunch of years and hours for the glass to sort of form to the bracket. I like Larry’s suggestion, or, one could reinforce the pant and lay the bracket in a slurry to fill the gaps.
Always learning.

Back to the OP’s question:
The instructions from Vans says to use polyester resin on that feature. Anybody know why?

My guess, it’s a hold over from when the pants where poly. Regardless, you can use epoxy on poly, but not the other way. Since pressure recovery, the pants have been epoxy.

Gell coat

My guess, it’s a hold over from when the pants where poly. Regardless, you can use epoxy on poly, but not the other way. Since pressure recovery, the pants have been epoxy.

But they still have that gel coat layer. Should I sand down the gel coat to the bare fiberglass before i bond on additional fiberglass or micro balloons using epoxy resin?

But they still have that gel coat layer. Should I sand down the gel coat to the bare fiberglass before i bond on additional fiberglass or micro balloons using epoxy resin?

That's how I did it, then a few layers of fiberglass. I did use microballoons to smooth out and even the filled layer.

Attachments

• nose.jpg
    nose.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Dan - I think it’s routine ‘cause that’s the way it has been done thousands of times and most of us are sheep.
Did you also reinforce where the brackets sit?

Yes, typically 4 plies 9oz.

one could reinforce the pant and lay the bracket in a slurry to fill the gaps.

I've done that before, although offhand I don't recall on what. Flox, worked great.

boat

When I got done reinforcing my wheel pants, they looked more like boat parts. Right down to the 12 oz cloth....

Front Wheel Pant

When I was doing my front wheel pant I reinforced the front bottom with 3 layers of carbon fiber. My thinking was if the wheel started to roll under and the Lip Skid needed some help the front shell would not scuff off as fast as fiberglass. At leas that is what I hoped would happen. After laying up the carbon fiber I didnt notice much difference in the sanding over fiberglass to make smooth so it may have been a waste. one thing for sure is the front cup is very rigid and almost no flex where the carbon fiber is.

Back