What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass Prep

sstellarv10

Well Known Member
Just a quick question on laying up fiberglass when Gel Cote is involved, will the fiberglass resin bond to the Gel Cote or do you have to grind to bare fiberglass first.

Steve Stella
#40654 Wings
N521RV reserved

Like resin types should bond just fine, after all, it is bonded in the inside, or else the gel coat would not stick to the part;)

I would just scuff it up with medium to rough sandpaper, and clean good with MEK or other solvent.

Just remember to use the same resin type-----epoxy on epoxy, polyester on polyester etc.

Try a small part, or scrap first just to ease your concerns??

Remove the gel coat if you expect a structural bond. I think tail tips deserve structural bond quality because failure can jam a control. Minor cosmetic stuff doesn't matter much.

resins

epoxy will bond to polyester but polyester won't bond to epoxy. scuff it up with 80 grit clean up with your fav solvent Atone mek ect and go to town. with the gelcote if you are talking the tips for rudder elevators ect check them really well for voids in the laminate. I have found some good ones in my tips.
good luck
Erik

Remove the gelcoat

Hi Steve,

Remove the gel coat with a sanding block. Prep the surface by scuffing with sandpaper and wiping clean with a little acetone. Now you are ready to layup your fiberglass.

Back