What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass help

miyu1975

Well Known Member
I am attempting to learn more about how to add the tips on my emp. I have scoured all the usual RV sites out they for pics and how tos of this process but there doesn't seem to be much this subject. And not much of instrx in VAns plans. Can someone point me to where I can learn more about the fiberglass process? Again, I have finished my 7 tail and want to add the tips while I wait for my wings. I am looking for either a website with detailed pics of how to complet the task or something of that that nature. I did find a video, basics of fiberglass, I may buy too..thx as usual.

thx..will check it out..

this piece is on the elevator...There is a sizeable gap between the skin and the edge of the fiberglass. Am I suppose to cut down the lip to make it fit edge to skin, or is that something I fill in later?..also how far on the weight should I cut...do I then later refill it and use cloth to cvr the weight....:confused:

N9ct3FXFHigm4dAoc_JkgA

dzfMqaNYGIdbmAgs1WX3Nw

On the RV10 you cut the lip so the notch in the fairing touches the skin . I would assume the seven is the same. Our instructions were very clearly marked for this.

Glassing the tips

thx..will check it out..

this piece is on the elevator...There is a sizeable gap between the skin and the edge of the fiberglass. Am I suppose to cut down the lip to make it fit edge to skin, or is that something I fill in later?..also how far on the weight should I cut...do I then later refill it and use cloth to cvr the weight....:confused:

Yeah you need to shave off some of the excess bottom so the tip slides inside the elevator for riveting. This will allow the tip to sit flush against the skin. I did 1/2" to keep edge distance. Trim just enough to have a good fit around the weight. It gives some dimensions in the plans to cut a notch for the weight.

thx..can someone give a me list of materials I need to purchase before I get to deep into this...?

Back