What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass flox question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
Please forgive my many questions.
I have been just getting into the fiberglass stuff and wondered how much flox is to much? The only guideline I can find is in one of Tony Bengelliss' books as to how to mix it. I do not think I have pushed the limit on it but just wondered if there is one.
TIA!

What are you using it for? Flox is for structural use only because it is HEAVY.
I can probably help, but need more info.

Just a general question. I have used it a couple of times for thicking and wondered if it is possible to have to much.

You can add flox to the same degree that you can add microballoons - till you can't stir it anymore. You should not need to 'thicken' epoxy if you are doing layups. Anything you add to epoxy and then use to wet out cloth for a layup will reduce the strength of the layup. There are 3 primary fillers used. Micro, Cabosil, and Flox. Each has certain uses.

Cabosil is a 'Thickening' agent. it is useful when you are doing a vertical layup as it prevents the epoxy from 'sagging'.

Last edited:
If you mix it so thick that it won't stick to whatever your applying it to, I would say that is too much.

Mix it to the point that it will not run off the mixing stick, any thicker will sacrafice strength.
Dick

Consistency of peanut butter

Consistency of peanut butter is the guideline I follow for flox and microballoon.

Bob Axsom

Back