What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ferry pilot for RV-7A from Knoxville KDKX to Culpeper, VA KCJR

SeanP

I'm New Here
I’m looking for a ferry pilot to get my RV-7A from Knoxville Downtown KDKX to Culpeper, VA KCJR. My insurance requires 500 hrs total and 25 hrs RV time (does not include RV-12). The panel has Grand Rapids HX, Garmin radio, Lynx transponder.. Please hit me up directly if you have any interest or know anyone who could help.

Last edited:
I’m looking for a ferry pilot to get my RV-7A from Knoxville Downtown KDKX to Culpeper, VA KCJR. My insurance requires 500 hrs total and 25 hrs RV time (does not include RV-12). The panel has Grand Rapids HX, Garmin radio, Lynx transponder.. Please hit me up directly if you have any interest or know anyone who could help.

Remember that, if you’re going to pay the ferry pilot, he/she needs a commercial license and a second class medical. As more and more of us are going to basic med, that class 2 med is getting harder to find.

Remember that, if you’re going to pay the ferry pilot, he/she needs a commercial license and a second class medical. As more and more of us are going to basic med, that class 2 med is getting harder to find.

I’m sure everyone knows this already, it is a job board posting. Which implies commercial rating for commercial work.

In fact even just flying it without being compensated monetarily is compensation if the person flying it does not split the fuel/oil costs with the owner and logs the flight time.

Last edited:
In fact even just flying it without being compensated monetarily is compensation if the person flying it does not split the fuel/oil costs with the owner and logs the flight time.

No that’s not accurate. If someone wanted to fly to log the hours, they can buy the fuel or split fuel with the owner if he wanted to ride along. That does not require a commercial. That’s just flying airplanes.

If said person did not have a commercial they could not be compensated in any way for the flight that’s all.

No that’s not accurate. If someone wanted to fly to log the hours, they can buy the fuel or split fuel with the owner if he wanted to ride along. That does not require a commercial. That’s just flying airplanes.

If said person did not have a commercial they could not be compensated in any way for the flight that’s all.

Huh? you just quoted, almost verbatim, what the previous poster said. But then said it’s not accurate?

Huh? you just quoted, almost verbatim, what the previous poster said. But then said it’s not accurate?

Again, no. How I read below is, just flying without being compensated with money is somehow still compensation if that person logs the time. Maybe he meant to add ‘if the owner fronts the fuel or hotel bills’ it is compensation. Sure that is true. But you don’t need a commercial to move an airplane for someone if you just want to build time. Only who pays the bills changes if you don’t have one. Should the person taking this on as a job have one, yep. Is it required to ferry an airplane, no.

Either way doesn’t matter, someone will help make this happen.

Last edited:
I wish the airline I work for had overnights in Knoxville. I’d bid one on purpose and move the plane on an overnight. It looks like it’s only a 2 hour flight.

Just an update. I am helping Sean get his plane tomorrow. He has been checked out and has fulfilled the insurance requirements to fly his plane himself. Having little experience with an RV, He didn't feel comfortable on this cross country by himself. I am not commercially rated but have 800+ hours in an RV7A. I will not even log the time or be compensated. Just a fun excuse to fly and help someone out as MANY have done for me in the past. He will be PIC.

Back