What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ferry from Rhode Island to NC ?

BABALU

Well Known Member
Anybody interested in a trip to the Outer Banks. I have an RV9A that i just purchased in the Providence area and im trying to figure what my best option would be to get it home. If interested PM me and we can discuss. IM kinda of intimidated by the airspace up there in the NYC area, Just being honest.
Thanks

The airspace tops out at 7,000'. Easy Peasy in the rv. Start with providence, hand off to ny and you are home free.

I have flown that route many times. If you file a flight plan or use flight following expect V1. ATC will generally give you that route anyway. It will save you the effort of amending in flight.

Its really a pretty easy flight

It looks scary on the chart but you can avoid most of the hassles while VFR. From RI, I would fly out to Block Island for a stop. Absolutely beautiful island and you can walk to the harbor for some trinkets and a lobster, all in a couple hours. Block Island is part of RI and about 15minutes (???) from Providence.

From there, fly to tip of the south fork of Long Island (Montauk). Make a landing if you like. Then, head down the south shore of Long Island and pass under NY bravo at 499' (JFK off to your right). You'll see Coney Island off to your right in a minute too. Bear left for NJ, and you can fly the entire shoreline past Atlantic City and Cape May. Keep going south.

You could make a trip down the Hudson River if you like while you are in the area. Manhattan and the local landmarks are a nice flight! I understand how you can feel overwhelmed just with the ferry workload, but add as much sight seeing as you care to (or as little).

Send me a PM if you would like to talk. That area is my back yard.

Enjoy the plane! Andy

Back