What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Feeling dumb - deburring question

uuacallis

I am feeling really dumb right now, but since this airplane needs to keep me airborne, I am going to set aside my pride and ask these questions.

After a morning of googling, I cannot seem to locate the answer-

I bought the Cleveland tools kit for the RV-12, which came with their DB04 and DBS33 deburring tools. I figured out how the DBS33 works on edges, but I came thoroughly confused as to the deburring process for a hole I just drilled. For example, on the first step I need to final drill the hinges. After done drilling the db04 fits right through the hole (doesn't touch at all), so how do I debur it using that tool???

Link to kit I bought-
http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Kit-of-Required-Tools-for-the-RV-12/productinfo/RV12KITW/#.Uj7nScu9KSM

The hole at 6-02 step 5 is drillsize #12. That equals 0,189". I'm not familiar with the DB04 but it is strange if the diameter is smaller than a #12 drill.
Check the drill you used. The hole is for an AN3 bolt.

Hi Adam. You can simply use a larger drill bit for the deburring. Rotate the bit clockwise between your fingers. You don't have to push hard since the material is fairly soft.

Adam
Im building a 7 but have that exact deburring tool. Works great by the way. I measured mine and it is .264 which should be fine up to and including 1/4" holes. Looks like you might have run a 3/8 bit though instead of 3/16? Just a guess on my part. Enjoy your build.

Looks like we have some tool confusion here. I also have the Cleaveland "DB04 3" Hex
Deburring Tool" that came with the RV-12 tool kit, but the diameter is .180". Unfortunately, the tool itself has no markings on it to provide positive identification.

Sorry for the confusion

I did identify the tool from looking at the photo on Cleveland's site. The holes I am talking about are the 2 per bracket that it tells you to drill before you start cleckoing.

The tool is too small for that hole, so what is the proper technique for those holes?

Just use a larger drill bit to deburr the hole (please see my previous post). I can't see spending money on another tool when it's not needed.

Thanks for the link on the video.

That helped, the issue is that the cleveland tool kit doesn't come with a deburring tool like that, instead the tool that comes with it is much smaller and doesn't have a handle, so it has to be attached to a drill.

Ultimately I decided tonight to just order the speed deburring tool from avery so that I am doing it like the videos I have seen!

thanks

Back