What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Favor needed: Exhaust stack measurement

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Can you folks who have flying RV-7As with a Vetterman exhaust -- preferably on a TMX IO-360, but not necessary -- do me a favor. Could you measure the distance between the inside edges of the end of the two "tailpipes."

I'm about to fit (and cut) the bottom cowling and I think it would probably be easier if I can get the positioning of the exhaust and the hangars perfect before doing so. I'm pretty sure that in my original installing of the exhaust, I've probably got them spaced too far apart.

Thanks.

fit first

Bob,
Fit the cowling on before doing any cutting. I am not sure what you are having to cut though, but I would definitely look at the clearances with everything in place first.

I used Van's RV7A cowling for the IO-360 with Vetterman's straight 4 pipe setup. After I fitted the cowling I had to make several adjustments to the hangar brackets for the exhaust before I could get the exhaust to live with the cowling without getting too close. It was a trial and error process.

Bob,
You only need to make the long slot in the cowl for the gear leg. Don't bother trying to postion the exhaust until the cowl install is complete. At this point you should just loosen (or take the hangers off) and shove the pipes out of the way. The pipes get adjusted to fit the cowl when you're done, not the other way around.

Agreed. There's not really any adjustment on the lower cowl itself, it is what it is. (I'm speaking about the opening for the exaust) About the only thing you can trim is the amount of cowl that sticks aft of the firewall. However the exaust is pretty adjustable.

Bob,
You only need to make the long slot in the cowl for the gear leg. Don't bother trying to postion the exhaust until the cowl install is complete. At this point you should just loosen (or take the hangers off) and shove the pipes out of the way. The pipes get adjusted to fit the cowl when you're done, not the other way around.
This is what I meant in my earlier post. The location of the pipes should not affect where you cut the slot for the gear leg. Once it is cut and the cowl is in place you can determine where the brackets need to be to keep the exhaust from hitting the cowl.

Shoot. A few months ago, (different thread) people said, get all the big stuff on before the cowling... alternator,.., exhaust etc. You know how much time I spent on those stupid hangars? Grrrrrrrrrr.:(

This is that chicken-and-egg thing Checkoway used to talk about. Very maddening how much stuff needs to get UNdone at this stage to get something else done.

Bob,
Ihave an injected O-360 w/ a Vettermen exhaust.I'm just fitting my cowling now,after hanging all of the accessories. I hung my exhaust stack as close to the center as possible and with the recomeded 30 degrees of drop.THe cowling fits around it just fine. If it didn't I'd HAVE to alter the cowling because there surely isn't anywhere else for the exhaust stack to go.

Back