What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fastener kit

Fl Mac

Well Known Member
Can someone explane to me how the fastener kit works. I bought the tail cone kit and the fastener kit. I then built the tail cone/emp. I had some fasteners left over. I then bought the wing kit. I got more fasteners with the wing kit, but I have many left over. I supose some of the fasteners that came in the wing kit are used in the fuse. I have the wings built and I have lots of fasteners left over. If some fuse fasteners come in the wing kit what happens if you buy the kits out of order? Maybe you guys got your fasteners all at once and I just had some on back order and came in the next kit. How do you guys think the fastener kit works?

If you're talking rivets

With the wings we got 10,000. Then later they sent 2,500 more. You won't have many left when you are done.

John Bender

With the wings we got 10,000. Then later they sent 2,500 more. You won't have many left when you are done.

John Bender

I am really referring to all the other stuff. I have lots of solid rivets left. Is each kit only supose to have what is needed for that kit.

Hmmm

I have about 5 unopened bags of solid rivets and about 8 or nine partial bags of solid rivets. I have several nutplates, screws, and a few other things. I know I did not misss anything in the build. When I get my fuse kit, will it have all the needed hardware (except pulled rivets) in it?

It is completely normal to have a number of leftover screws, washers, nuts, bolts and nutplates.

Typically all of the hardware for a particular subkit is supplied with that kit. At least that is what I have found and beleive. Such allows one to start with the wing kit or the tailcone kit. I suppose even the fuselage.

Don't toss anything because there have been instances where Van's has miscounted and has not supplied enough hardware for a particular subkit. Also save your scrap aluminum, it comes in handy.

With regard to solid rivets, I never really kept track of them. If you have 5 bags that are unopened, write down the numbers and then re-review the tailcone kit and wing kit plans. All rivet callouts are shown on the Figures. If anything you will sleep better. It won't take much time!!

Early on I bought 3 plastic trays with dividers from Home Depot. All the common hardware like nuts, bolts, screws, rivets, nut plates etc I sorted and put in the trays. Now when I need a specific bolt rivet or whatever I just grab one. I don't need to figure out which bag to look in.It is much faster.By the end of the 3 structural kits I seem to have a good selection of hardware left over.

Curious

Did you inventory counts seem to match the listed amounts ? I don't recall many unopened bags. Some left in several bags, yes.

John Bender

I think you will find that Van's provides some extra on simple hardware like rivets and washers to cover areas where we have to select the right combination of washers to make things fit and to cover the rivets we have to drill out from time to time. Solid rivets are handled by weight so they send 1/4 ounce even though we may only need about 20 for a given kit. It is good to have some extra instead of having to call and order more just because we are two small rivets short.

Best regards,
Vern

Some of the un opened packs and screws and hardware are from the fiberglass kit that was supose to come with my tail cone and then was moved to the finish kit.

Back