What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fastback questions.

LovelyLibertyRV8a

Hey guys I have a question about fastback kits for 8a's. I have never seen a picture of an "a" model converted to a fastback. Is that because they don't make them or does it not look right on the "a"? Also I have heard that the fastback kit adds some more shoulder room up front. Is that fact or fiction? Showplanes sells the kit for $2500.00, is this a good deal or not? I am a big dude so I am looking for ways to free up some room. I have done everything humanly possible to lose weight short of exercising and dieting:D;).

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=33277&highlight=fastback

Here's a past thread some time ago discussing the 8A with a fastback mod, but not much info.

The room gained shoulder width wise is due to the tipover canopy style. The fastback should fit the -a just fine considering it is just modified top skins/bulkheads on the rear fuse. There is still one in progress (about to fly last I hear) being build in the facility at showplanes, however there's no information provided on their website.

Last edited:
I've got some pics of the factory project. PM me your email and I'll send them to you.

The price is no longer $2500. I had a long "discussion" with Bryan about the need to update his website, as that is the price quoted. Last I checked, it was still not updated. Also, the custom crating is $160. On the upside, the kit now includes the roll bar. My kit ships end of the month.

I also have a list that deletes a lot of the stuff from the fuse and finish kit you won't need...not a complete list, but a lot, ie. I still received the upper tailcone bulkheads!

Lastly, if going slow build, order it early. I have been kind of at a stand still for about a month, waiting for this post-market kit. ShowPlanes told me I wouldn't need it until after I rolled the fuse. Well, I'm to a point that the whole thing is clecoed together (minus the fastback), and it has never been upside down! IOW, the new -1 fuse kit doesn't get built upside down in a jig, and you need the cockpit side rails--at a minimum--about 50-75 hrs into the
fuse kit.

Having said all that, don't do it, 'cause I like the idea of mine being fairly unique ;)

Joe

sorry Joe another one on the way

Im in the process of glueing the canopy to my fastback 8A. The top canopy rails (if I recall) allows about 1.5 inches more width than standard. I have about 350 hours into my fastback (mostly glass work) I will estimate another 50 to finish it out.

Hey guys I have a question about fastback kits for 8a's. I have never seen a picture of an "a" model converted to a fastback. Is that because they don't make them or does it not look right on the "a"? Also I have heard that the fastback kit adds some more shoulder room up front. Is that fact or fiction? Showplanes sells the kit for $2500.00, is this a good deal or not? I am a big dude so I am looking for ways to free up some room. I have done everything humanly possible to lose weight short of exercising and dieting:D;).

As was stated above, there is an "A" under const at Show Planes. Seems to look just fine.

The extra room comes from the fact the canopy tips over to the right, and there are no tracks for it to slide back on. The tracks must be parallel, and as the fuse is narrower at the rear, the rails at the front must be the same.

The Show Planes kit includes new side rails, they are an inch or so narrower than stock, and it looks like they could be trimmed back even more with proper attention to structural integrity.

Like you, I am a big guy, and have found that the shoulder room in a stock 8 is very cramped when I have my arms down, kinda like you would need to do if you wanted to use the throttle, and control stick. Otherwise, no problem. I sat in a Show Planes tip over setup, and found the increase in shoulder room to be quite good.

Another couple of things------the viability forward is improved, and the access to the instrument panel is better.

And-----ventilation----the canopy latch has a position that keeps it open an inch or two, for when you are on the ground and the greenhouse is getting hot. On a stock setup, the front part of the canopy blocks the cool breeze.

The tip over canopy, and the raised turtle deck (fastback) work together, I dont think you can do one without the other.

Needless to say, I am impressed with the product, and plan on using one on the 8 I hope to build someday.

Im in the process of glueing the canopy to my fastback 8A. The top canopy rails (if I recall) allows about 1.5 inches more width than standard. I have about 350 hours into my fastback (mostly glass work) I will estimate another 50 to finish it out.

Pat,

I see you now have a Citabria. Does this mean you are going to convert your -8A to an -8?

Always been the A model

Bill, Ive been flying taildraggers for 20 years. Never really got caught up in the tailwheel/nosewheel which is harder or makes you better debate. Love em both. I actually picked the 8A because not too many out there. There are a few of us that own the Citabria and tow a sailplane with it. A couple of the guys bought a Pawnee and are recovering it this is winter so I will likely get some seat time in that plane to :D PM me if your back in town over the holidays.

Back