What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Farm Strip

paul330

Well Known Member
Although it will be some time before my -10 is flying, I am looking ahead! There is a plot of land near my home in Enghalnd which appears to be ideal to put a strip on but I need some advice on before I go to all the hassle of trying to buy it.

The strip is into the prevailing wind and about 1500' long. The approach end is clear but there is a bank about 10' high at the upwind end. Drainage looks good with a ditch running alongside.

Would this be long enough for a -10?

That should no problem.

Try a little bit on a longer airstrip. You have more than twice the minimum length from Van's performance data page.

Although it will be some time before my -10 is flying, I am looking ahead! There is a plot of land near my home in Enghalnd which appears to be ideal to put a strip on but I need some advice on before I go to all the hassle of trying to buy it.

The strip is into the prevailing wind and about 1500' long. The approach end is clear but there is a bank about 10' high at the upwind end. Drainage looks good with a ditch running alongside.

Would this be long enough for a -10?

It would be adequate if the elevation is not overly high (you didn't mention what the runway elevation would be) and the pilot is fully proficient flying the RV-10.
I do not think it would be a good runway to use while getting used to the particulars of flying an RV-10.

Paul, my experience of a -9a and a -4 is that VANS numbers are very accurate. I operate out of 1020' in N Yorkshire. The -4 is still new to me but its quite clear that it will have no difficulty with the strip.

The variable is all about your ability to be rigerous wrt to an aiming point and controlling the speed. I got in a lather about bringing the -4 in the first time but in reality it was not a problem.

You can see my approach here. The far end is rather more daunting than yours and its across the wind. This landing is in a Supercub but in fact the -4 needs very little more room because its easier to stop flying in the -4 by shutting the throttle. I expect the -10 is the same, but dont know.

If you do get serious consider the surface carefully. My experience with the -9a and -4 is that VANS aircraft have no problems with an undulating runway but DONT like bumps.

Good luck!

Last edited:
1500' should be fine, biggest problem with English Country strips is they are lush green pastures!

Great for stopping but takeoff is my concern. If the grass is controlled you will be off the deck in under 1000' from the RV's I have seen.

I can not wait to get ours in the air so I can see how well they do perform!

DB:cool:

Thanks for the input.

VANS figures are around 500-600' for TO and landing but this is obviously under ideal conditions on a hard runway. My gut feeling had been that 2000' would be good but 1500' is a little on the short side for a bigger aeroplane like the -10.

Elevation is more or less sea level so that's not an issue. I would aim to do some transition training before flying mine and the initial testing would be on a better runway. Seems to me that it is just about doable if it's kept dry and mown.

I've ordered local maps to get a more accurate sizing (I paced it out walking the dog!). Just got to track down the farmer and see if he'll sell it......... Would be great - walking distance from home :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input.

VANS figures are around 500-600' for TO and landing but this is obviously under ideal conditions on a hard runway. My gut feeling had been that 2000' would be good but 1500' is a little on the short side for a bigger aeroplane like the -10.

Paul, because the majority of my landings are on my own short strip I have thought about this a lot. I would argue that the size of the plane is pretty much immaterial. There are bits of the landing that the pilot controls and bits that are largely a function of the aircraft.

Phase 1. You need to arrive, flared, just beyond your aiming point, just above the ground with a minimal speed over stall to be safe. This is ALL about pilot ability. (It comes with practice and comittment to accurate flying. It is also why many pilots say they need vastly more distance than VANS numbers indicate. I use an aiming point just outside my strip.)

Phase 2. You (at least I) then need some small amount of time to be sure that the aircraft is as I want it. (Still tracking the runway, very close to the runway, in or close to the 3 point attitude.) Then I shut the throttle. I think this is where attributes of the plane takeover, but Phase 2 is the biggest variability in the landing distance for me. Frequently, when all is going well before you make the decision to shut the throttle you feel a wheel drag. SHUT IT!

Phase 3. This is mostly a function of the plane. You should have touched at stall speed. Possibly slightly less, because until that point you had some low power blowing air under the wing. To come to a stop you have to destroy the energy; MVsquared. V will be at a minimum if you executed 1 & 2 correctly. M is a decision lots of builders choose to discard contrary to VanGrusven's advice during the build, but by the time you do this landing its a given. A larger plane will undoubtedly have a larger M but then it also has larger tyres and brakes so that is pretty much a wash. Some larger planes, in fact most, have a larger V at stall, but it is because of this that VANS numbers increase with the higher landing speeds. He appears to have over allowed slightly.

Phase 4. The pilot clearly adds some value in braking but not locking the wheels. The surface is a factor. On the one hand grass can be slippery (though I have never actually found it a problem.....yet) but the rolling resistance of a softer surface helps.

So my point is if you can execute Phase 1 and 2 effectively 1500' will be no problem if VANS say 500-650' if they have measured it consistent with the rest of the range. I would be very surprised if they haven't.

The things that help are:
- a slow idle
- a c/s prop
- practice practice practice
- a head wind!

The thing to check on final with the GPS is that you havnt picked up a tail wind.

My advice would be to mark out a 1000' bit of a runway somewhere. When you can 100% reliably land on that in all the conditions you need to, you are ready for 1500' with no overshoot.

Good luck and BE CAREFUL!

PS You cant beat having the plane at home!

PPS STOL in VANS aircraft is all about landing. The power to weight issue sorts the takeoff distance and there is much less opportunity for the pilot to delay things, though you need to do it right.

Could someone clarify a point for me. I was under the impression that Van's figures were for the landing roll once the wheels were on the runway. If so, the length of runway required would be greater due to time in the flare and possible obstructions at the approach end :confused:

Fin 9A
On a 1,380 ft strip at 4,300 ft AMSL with obstacles on the approach.

If the runway is mostly to be used in one direction, except when strong wind forces the other, then this will not matter, but you could keepthe first half of the strip mowed short and a hard surface for take off, and keep the second half a few inches thicker and lusher!

The braking effect of grass is quite considerable!

Just for added safety, not a primary effect.

DB

Thanks for all the input.

Someone has just told me that the price of agricultural land in the UK has gone through the roof because everyone wants to grow bio-fuel crops - so I may not be able to afford it or get my hands on the land anyway :( Oh well, I can still dream and it's still a few years down the track till I will need it.

Bottom line is, from all the advice, 1500' looks good enough.

Back