What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

False spars

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
I am planning to move my fuselage to the airport in a couple of weeks and have an 18' flatbed trailer lined up but was having trouble visualizing a safe way to secure the plane to the trailer. So I called Tony Partain, who is in the plane moving business, for suggestions. One of the things discussed was false spars.
This seems logical to me since the stresses of tying down an airplane are transmitted to the fuslage through the wing spars.
Here is what I came up with, 2 each, cut from a piece of 3/4 inch plywood:
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/RV-12-Tools-Work-Fixtures/7992519_GYr3k#802637076_bc2Cr-A-LB][/URL]

and installed...
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/RV-12-Tools-Work-Fixtures/7992519_GYr3k#802636995_dPF6v-A-LB][/URL]

The fuselage will have the engine installed so will be at full weight. We only have about 18 miles of smooth road to cover but don't want to take chances of damaging anything. We will also utilize the nose gear tow ring and the tail tie down ring to keep the ends from flipping up and down.

If anyone has experience with this, or can offer suggestions for securing to a trailer, please jump in.
I'll post pictures of the move in the "Status" thread.

Tony

That is not a bad idea, but I think you are over thinking the trailer trip it like I did. The wheels fit VERY snug in between the wheel wells of the car trailer and you can tie the nose gear to the front and the rear tire tie down to the back of the trailer. I just duct taped the stabilator & rudder in a neutral position and stayed around 45 MPG. I had to go 15 miles to the airport. No issues at all.

Good idea though!

Last edited:
That is not a bad idea, but I think you are over thinking the trailor trip it like I did.

Larry, thanks for the feedback. And yes, you are right, I tend to overthink things a bit. But, it's part of the fun for me.
Looking forward to moving the fuselage, should be a fun day and a milestone. The wings and tail parts are already in the hangar, so final assembly can begin.

Tony

Larry, thanks for the feedback. And yes, you are right, I tend to overthink things a bit. But, it's part of the fun for me.
Looking forward to moving the fuselage, should be a fun day and a milestone. The wings and tail parts are already in the hangar, so final assembly can begin.

Tony

Congrats on getting this far. The rest is "gravey". Enjoy every minute.:D

A long time ago I hauled an airplane halfway across the country. The only tie downs were at the landing gear.

I reduced the tire pressure until I had an inch or so of tire deflection. Then I tied the plane down at the axles, both main and tailwheel. Then I reinflated the tires.

Worked great, good firm connection.

Looking at yours, those spar stubs are a great idea. Use those and tie it down with soft tires, then add more air to the tires and you're probably good to go.

Take it easy, and be real careful when turning, especially to the right. Real nice looking work, pretty plane - have fun!

David

Back