What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fairly dumb question

MSFT-1

Well Known Member
I am the owner of an RV-10 that I didn't build so I not a systems expert. Unfortunately, the builder was killed in an accident a few months back so I can't reach back to him for help.

During the annual, the A&P said he wanted to check the inline fuel filter. I know the airplane has one instead of a gasculator on the firewall. My recollection is that the builder told me it is mounted in the center console inside the cockpit (I have the fiberglass console option offered by Accuracy Avionics). Before I take about a million screws out of the console, I thought I would ask one of you guys that have an RV-10 to confirm the location of the fuel filter.

thanks.

Bruce,

Do you have a copy of the build manuals? Check out chapter 37. The standard location for the fuel filter is in the bottom of the tunnel, slightly forward of the fuel valve.

This is why many have put an access panel in the right side of the tunnel. Removing center consoles can be a royal pain in the rear end.

When you have your console off, you may want to consider adding an access panel. If you aren't up to making one from scratch, you can buy a kit from Airward. Dave is a fellow RV-10 builder.

bob

Last edited:
Can't help with where your filter is. However, there's a lot of stuff in that console. For an annual condition inspection, I think I would want to inspect inside there anyway.

I have the console also, with access panel. During my first annual, I removed the console to get to the filter and other stuff. It was not that big of a deal, but I made sure it was easily removable when I built it. i.e. connectors on the wires, removable throttle/prop/mixture. It is a lot easier to inspect the complete tunnel and behind the panel without the console in.

If he followed the plans the filter is located in the tunnel by electric fuel pump. I have the same configuration as you do, AA console, panel and center control console. To get to the filter you will need to remove only the aft arm rest console. Now if your A&P is a small guy with a passion for arm contortion he may have no problems but will require removal of the heating SCAT tubes. It is not hard to get at, just "tight" I added an access panel to the right side of my tunnel about 5" x 8" to get to the filter/pump/plumbing. I get to see if it helps in a few months when the hobbs turns 100. Hopefully your mech. has pulled the seats front and back, this makes it easier to lay down inside and work to get at the filter and inspect the plumbing, heating, electrical etc.

I split the front section of the top cover, now have a three section tunnel cover.

Easy to do, just duplicate the way the factory did the existing one. Doubler plate, and platenuts.

I located it just aft of the fuel lever-------you can now pull the top cover over the fuel pump/filter/selector valve, without having to remove the seats.

Not to say you shouldn't pull the seats and check/lube linkages and all that at annual, but sure makes easier access if all you want to get at is the fuel system components.

Enjoy.

Back