What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fairings for wheel spats

What aftermarket fibreglass parts suppliers are there that make parts specifically for the leg and spat fairings on the RV-9 ???

This is what I did.

Have you tried www.fairings-etc.com ?
Steve

I used Bob's products on my 9A. One part didn't fit that well and he fixed it quickly and set it back 'no charge'.

There is a little fitting needed and of course you always have to fill the pin holes, before painting.

The work well for wheel pants, so I guess that would work for those spats.:rolleyes:

Kent

What aftermarket fiber glass parts suppliers are there that make parts specifically for the leg and spat fairings on the RV-9 ???
David,

No one makes them for the -9 and the -7's don't fit exact. If you are talking about a -9A, there are a number of people that make them for the -9A. Since I think you know which you are building I will lell what I did.

I purchased the -7 fairings from Van's and am currently in the process of modifying them. The truth is, it would be easier to just make them from scratch and I may just trash my modified fairings.

The upper fairings were trimmed way down and new fiberglass was laid up on them. (Sorry no pictures.) The lowers fit OK but had some trimming.

Again, I would suggest you make your own rather than modify any of the -7 fairings.

For those who don't understand, the -9 has the longest gear legs of all the RV's and the angle at which they exit the engine mount is not the same as the -7's. Thus the reason they are not interchangeable. Big bummer!

It looks like Van's never pulled a set of molds off of their -9 for whatever reason. It might be because there are so few -9's out there. The other fairing manufactures have not been interested in pulling a mold either, probably for the same reason. Bigger Bummer!

Last edited:
Back