What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fairings Etc Side Handle Instructions?

David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Anybody have some drawings, pictures, instructions, advice about installing the side handle latch from Fairing Etc? I'm thinking of roughly following the plans but the dimensions are not equal. I received the two locking mechanisms and a spring.

Bob's www site has some pics but not enough: http://www.fairings-etc.com/brackets.htm

Thanks,

Latch instructions

I used that latch (and like it a lot), but also had to figure out how to install the spring. There is a threaded bolt hole in both latch pieces, and the spring runs between them. I made a special 'hook' for the aft attachment - looks like a washer with a tab bent for the spring to hook on.

Here is a picture of my installation: (www) .wideopenwest.com/~glaesers/RV7A/Graphics/CanopyLatch1.JPG

For some reason, the link doesn't post correctly if I leave it together, so you'll have to cut and past the string above, and get rid of the parenthesis.

That's the best pic I have at the moment. If that doesn't clear things up for you, let me more and I'll take more pictures.

I had to file the pieces smooth, and I also drilled lightening holes, similar to what they show on their website. I think the dimensions of the rotation bolts are the same as the Vans latch.

After I painted the angles, I put a strip of UHMW tape on them for 'lubrication'. It works great.

Ahhhh...ahhhhh!

Hi Dennis,

Ok, you answered one question - I've only got a single threaded hole for the spring. :( At least that'll be easy to fix.

I checked on the bolt spacing on Van's plans and it's a little too close by about 1/16". I've got a wooden mock-up to test things out on.

Like you, I'm planning on adding some UHMU tape to the angle brackets for a consistent smooth feel.

Thanks for the pic and feedback,

David,

I don't have any drawings but I know what you mean about Bob's few pics. Here's some from my install that are higher resolution. Also I've uploaded a video of it in operation. Sometimes when I'm having to wing-it on an install, it helps to see it work - first.

I tried the UHMU but my tolerances were too tight and it kept catching and peeling back. I just filed mine real smooth with a jeweler's file and it works flawlessly smooth. Plus you're gonna want to replace that tape after awhile - it turns black where it rubs.

As a technique to keep both pieces in plane while I spaced them and drilled them to the mounting angles, I used good 'ole Duct Tape on both sides. Keeps them from shifting around while match-drilling the angels. I would drill right through the tape, through the pre-drilled hole in the handel, and then through the "new" hole in the mounting angle. Do one side, flip it and then do the other, incorporating the "new" hole you just drilled into the stack.

CIMG3140.jpg

CIMG3155.jpg

CIMG3160.jpg

Video Link
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/gsuit/?action=view&current=CIMG3161.flv

Thanks everybody!!

After some careful drilling and filing, this evening I successfully installed the canopy side latch. The photos and hints you all provided where absolutely fantastic.

Thanks again,

Back