What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Failing VDO pressure sensor options

riobison

Well Known Member
Looks like my VDO fuel pressure sensor is starting to fail (very slow to bleed down). As well as the VDO oil pressure is starting to jump around a couple pds intermittently. They are displaying onto a Dynon D180 and there are 600 hrs on them.

As the VDO sensors are becoming more difficult to find. The recommended option is to go with Kavlico but that means to find and run another 5 volt lead? That sounds like a PITA.

Are there any other sensors that might work like something from Stewart Warner or similar that would basically be a plug and play?

Thanks

Tim

Aircraft Spruce have the VDO senders, have you tried there?
AC Spruce has these warnings:

Warning Notice:
VDO pressure senders are not to be used with any type of fuel application.
VDO pressure senders may not be used in automotive braking systems.
VDO pressure senders are not suitable for use in aircraft.

Probably are meaningless for the most part.
But, for a carburetor my pressure is somewhere around the 6 psi mark and a 30 psi sensor might be too much. Something 1/2 of that would probably be better I'm thinking.
As well it seems like some of these aren't in stock so another problem.

Thanks
Tim

AC Spruce has these warnings:

Warning Notice:
VDO pressure senders are not to be used with any type of fuel application.
VDO pressure senders may not be used in automotive braking systems.
VDO pressure senders are not suitable for use in aircraft.

Probably are meaningless for the most part.
But, for a carburetor my pressure is somewhere around the 6 psi mark and a 30 psi sensor might be too much. Something 1/2 of that would probably be better I'm thinking.
As well it seems like some of these aren't in stock so another problem.

Thanks
Tim
The warnings are for liability reasons, I believe.

The fuel pressure sender for carbureted engine is 0-30 psi range, per the D180 installation manual. The existing sender should have the range stamped on the base.

Spruce has the oil sender in stock. The 30 psi fuel sender is due in August.

There is 30 psi sender in stock at Summit Racing:

Summit also show stock for quite a few other VDO sender options.

You will need to check if these are the right part numbers for your installation, but that would seem to be less hassle than changing to a more expensive type of sender that needs new wiring.

For those concerned as to the safety of using the VDO sender for fuel, use an isolator:

Originally these were used with mechanical gauges... where you don't want the FP gauge to blow a leak in the cockpit. But no reason why you can't put one in line between the VDO sender and the fuel. Put oil in the sensor side line.

Back