What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Failing rivet sizing 101

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Well, I have tried to figure our the correct rivet size I need to add a doubler plate for my antennas. The skin is.025, the doubler is .063 total thickness= .088

I plan to use AD 426-3 diameter size rivet. I have tried to use the formula but my brain is vapor locking and its not caculating out.

Oh masters of the RV 10 please help!

Formula? Probably not the answer you're looking for but I don't think I used a rivet-length formula once during my entire build. A $2 rivet length gauge would probably be more helpful. Will pay for itself once or twice over! :D

Given that you're going through a piece of .060, my wild guess is that you'll probably need something like an AN426AD3-4.5 here.

Hope this is at least a little bit helpful.

If you want to be really cheap, use a 9/64 drill bit as a reference for the amount of rivet that should protrude before setting.

But, just buy the gauges, it's worth it. :D

PS 9/64 is 1.5 times the 3/32 rivet diameter...

If you must calculate, use material thickness + 1.5 x rivet diameter. So, in your case, you have .088 + 1.5(3/32) (assuming #3 rivet) or....

.088 + 9/64 = .088 +.141 = .229

rivet lengths are in 1/16 inch increments (.0625); .229/.0625 =3.66

So, either a 3.5 or a 4, but shorter is sometimes better than longer to avoid clinching. Drop a rivet in the hole and check for around 9/64 sticking out the other side...

(Example given in Van's builder's manual page 5-3)

==dave==

Thanks, I read the Garmin install documents and they recommended .063 for a doubler plate. Is this an overkill, I originally planed on .043 thickness as a doubler. This would be for a Comant ILS wisker antenna and a couple of GPS antennas.

Back