What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Factory Trim Tab-Vertical Stab

Phantom30

Well Known Member
Scott,

How many (%) of the -12's flying require a trim tab on the vertical stab? Just thinking ahead....for painting reasons....

I know of 3 rv12 that have them. Turn this thread into a poll or start a new one

I don't know of any that do NOT have them. Most seem to need/have one Avery wedge. That's what I needed. I think I've read of only one RV12 that needed 2 wedges.

Read through THIS recent thread. It sounds like what you are looking for.
The majority of RV-12's need some level of rudder trim. The trim tab in the above thread comes pre-bent to an angle that seems pretty close for most airplanes.

I have two wedges - could probably use just a tad more.

Lateral trim depends a lot on loading - pilot weight, passenger, fuel load etc. Without an in-flight adjustable lateral trim, chasing a hands-off lateral trim condition is chasing windmills.....

Bob Bogash
N737G

And 143WM has 1/75 wedges

I put them at the top of the rudder figuring that they wouldn't be blanked at high angles of attack but I think that contributes to the roll problem.

Wayne 120241

I guess I'll throw this out for discussion.....would an adjustable (from cockpit electronic) rudder and flaperon trim tabs be desirable?....or is this not really of much concern.

I don't believe this would be difficult to do....not sure if needed. I have not "yet" been behind the stick of a -12! Just listening to the rattling on vaf!!!

Scott/Mel.....would really like to hear your imput.

As long as you are building EAB. I don't think the ends would justify the means though. Truthfully, it took me a while to get the heavy wing sorted out as I was flying with a tab on my left flaperon. That was until I got off my lazy behind and figured out why I needed a tab, yet most others did not. Now that my 12 is properly rigged, I never even think about it. Regarding the rudder trim, most, including me, use a tab on the rudder. You will use your right foot on take-off just like most other light singles. IMO, you would be adding a lot of complexity to what was designed as a simple airplane. JMO.

$15 + shipping will get you the S-LSA trim tab from Van's. We just installed it but have not tested it yet as we are wrapping up the landing gear mod. It's never done!

I set the rudder trim tab once and haven't touched it in over a year, so I would say a trim tab controlled from the cockpit is overkill -- kinda like how many rivets I used! :)

I set the rudder trim tab once and haven't touched it in over a year, so I would say a trim tab controlled from the cockpit is overkill -- kinda like how many rivets I used! :)

Thanks for the feed back...I am the gagit king and this would not take the-12 out of e-lsa cat. (Of course after cert.); however, if not a major plus...doesn't sound worth it.

Back