What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Factory Direct Models

N8RV

Well Known Member
I sold my RV-8 a few years ago, and all I have left is a bunch of pictures. I stumbled upon a company called Factory Direct Models based here in the Phoenix area, and commissioned them to make a wood model of N8RV (aka “Smokey.”) I collected all of the high-quality photos I could find and put them on a flash drive. Then … I waited.

They kept me apprised of the model’s progress via e-mail, and when the box showed up, I was not disappointed!

IMG_4593.jpeg

IMG_4583.jpeg

IMG_4582.jpeg

For reference, here’s the real thing …
RIGHT%20VIEW%2005.jpeg

COCKPIT%20DISPLAY%2002.jpeg

They reproduced everything to scale, including the custom panel and even my helmet!

There are some minor errors in the model, primarily because of my limited cache of pictures. However, had I taken the time to correct discrepancies that I noticed, it could have been perfect! I just got too anxious.

I would imagine that many RV builders would enjoy having a miniature copy of their beloved creations, so I wanted to share this with you. I am NOT affiliated with FDM in any way. I never knew that I could have a Mini-Smokey in my home that would evoke far more memories than any pictures could do.

I hope this information is of value to the VAF community.

I concur they did my plane many years ago. The detail is amazing. This model is about 10 yrs old and looks like new still.

Attachments

• tempImageURTLE3.png
    tempImageURTLE3.png
    11.6 MB · Views: 119
  • tempImageXi8dVE.png
    tempImageXi8dVE.png
    11.9 MB · Views: 111
  • tempImageXITyZx.png
    tempImageXITyZx.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 95
  • tempImageYdpkUi.png
    tempImageYdpkUi.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 79
  • tempImageylPxQf.png
    tempImageylPxQf.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 111
Yes they do a great job! Definitely spring for the clear canopy option. It costs more, but makes them look so much more realistic.

I had them do a model of the little jet (Loki) so I could write an article on them. In the end, they did a great job, although the color match was never quite right, but it did take a couple fo revisions for them to get the cockpit right (they did really well in the end) and it took ten months from start to finish. Honestly, I accepted the poor color match simply because I was tired of the the process…. If you’re willing to wait and work with them, they do a great job, but I found their communications quite poor - especially annoying since they knew that I was writing a review of them for a national magazine. Full disclosure- I paid full price for the model.

Really nice modeling howeer, and well worth having one for an airplane like Smokey Don!!

I have a model of my 8 on order from them. After seeing the photos above I'm now even more excited to get mine.

Don,
Your -8 is what inspired me to start looking for one. I flew my RV-4 to your place to look at Smokey when you were first putting it on the market. When I walked into your hangar I was shocked at the attention to detail. No surprise Smokey was gone before I could put a deal together. Thanks for the info about the model, I might just have to do that since this is my last airplane. I ended up with Falcon’s -8 and I love it every time I fly.
Enjoy retirement!

I had them do a model of the little jet (Loki) so I could write an article on them. In the end, they did a great job, although the color match was never quite right, but it did take a couple fo revisions for them to get the cockpit right (they did really well in the end) and it took ten months from start to finish. Honestly, I accepted the poor color match simply because I was tired of the the process…. If you’re willing to wait and work with them, they do a great job, but I found their communications quite poor - especially annoying since they knew that I was writing a review of them for a national magazine. Full disclosure- I paid full price for the model.

Really nice modeling howeer, and well worth having one for an airplane like Smokey Don!!
Hi, Paul. I'm glad you didn't have them replicate Tsam's paint scheme! ;-)

You're absolutely right about the lack of communication and the time commitment. I would send in my corrections, along with photos with more detail that they apparently missed, and in reply ... crickets. Until, a few days later, they'd send updated pictures containing the corrected items. Truth be told, even I didn't notice some boo-boos when I looked at the pictures! Consequently, I decided that it wasn't worth bugging them to add more detail or change colors. Plus, some mistakes simply aren't apparent in the photos they sent. For me, it was no big deal. I just wanted something that closely resembled my plane, and they surpassed my expectations. Good to hear from you, Ironflight!

Love that color, what is it?
Hi, ERJDriver --

As I recall, I tried in vain to find out what "double-ugly" paint colors the USN uses on their aircraft, so I estimated (which was good enough for me.) I chose Jet Glo "Aviation Gray" (07475) for the main color, "Gun Gray" (07472) for the darker accent colors, and "Black" (01955) for the tail and spinner. I just couldn't make myself choose a flat color though. ;-)

Don,
Your -8 is what inspired me to start looking for one. I flew my RV-4 to your place to look at Smokey when you were first putting it on the market. When I walked into your hangar I was shocked at the attention to detail. No surprise Smokey was gone before I could put a deal together. Thanks for the info about the model, I might just have to do that since this is my last airplane. I ended up with Falcon’s -8 and I love it every time I fly.
Enjoy retirement!
Hi, Oly! As much as you loved your last plane, I'm just happy that you bought an -8. I'm guessing that it's more like the fighter that you're used to. ;-)

All you need to do now is install the Viper stuff -- HUD, indexers, ICP, and HOTAS! I'm betting that it's just a matter of time until your -8 sports Viper livery and you'll preflight your sorties. LOL!

I sold my RV-8 a few years ago, and all I have left is a bunch of pictures. I stumbled upon a company called Factory Direct Models based here in the Phoenix area, and commissioned them to make a wood model of N8RV (aka “Smokey.”) I collected all of the high-quality photos I could find and put them on a flash drive. Then … I waited.

They kept me apprised of the model’s progress via e-mail, and when the box showed up, I was not disappointed!

View attachment 57833
View attachment 57834

View attachment 57835
View attachment 57836

View attachment 57837
They reproduced everything to scale, including the custom panel and even my helmet!

There are some minor errors in the model, primarily because of my limited cache of pictures. However, had I taken the time to correct discrepancies that I noticed, it could have been perfect! I just got too anxious.

I would imagine that many RV builders would enjoy having a miniature copy of their beloved creations, so I wanted to share this with you. I am NOT affiliated with FDM in any way. I never knew that I could have a Mini-Smokey in my home that would evoke far more memories than any pictures could do.

Fang? Used to fly an AA-1 with a similar scheme?

Fang? Used to fly an AA-1 with a similar scheme?
Hi, Walkman —
You mean like THIS …? 😉

Photo731099190147_inner_91-39-548-50-80-343-544-353.jpeg

Photo731098525594_inner_149-329-532-329-149-595-532-604.jpeg

Photo731101086065_inner_127-363-523-363-127-634-523-634.jpeg

Yeah, same one. Several AYA Conventions in that little plane, and a few Oshkosh trips!

-- Don "Fang" McNamara

Last edited:

View attachment 57833
View attachment 57834

View attachment 57835
View attachment 57836

View attachment 57837

Can you give us an idea of what the cost of this highly detailed model was?

Hi, Oly! As much as you loved your last plane, I'm just happy that you bought an -8. I'm guessing that it's more like the fighter that you're used to. ;-)

All you need to do now is install the Viper stuff -- HUD, indexers, ICP, and HOTAS! I'm betting that it's just a matter of time until your -8 sports Viper livery and you'll preflight your sorties. LOL!
Yep I still have the Viper stuff from Smokey and a real F-16 stick grip but still have the original Infinity grip in the plane. It’s coming out next weekend and will replace with an engraved Tosten Military grip and a straight stick. I’ll get another stick from Vans and make the Viper grip next winter’s project.

Hi, George --

From their website for an RV-8: $395 for the airplane + $300 for a detailed interior. Since Smokey's interior was what made him different from any other RV, I opted for that. I used my golf winnings over the last year to pay for it. ;-)

Their showroom is located at the Mesa Gateway airport here in the Phoenix Metro area. It's worth a trip for anyone local to stop by and see some of their amazing models in person. Or, just visit their website.

Last I checked it was $300. $600 with interior. They did a great job on my -6 (no interior) but not nearly as good on my Legend Cub (with interior).

I have purchased several custom models, mostly military and but also a civilian Cessna, from these guys:

My models are the same high quality as pictured above on the OP post, with perfect detail. I highly recommend them also as an alternative.

10 weeks. $385 no interior. Always had good communication and prompt replies to my changes and inquiries.

To be honest, I think all these model companies offshore their work, so patience is required after submitting an order and working through the details of markings, proofs, changes etc.

Back