What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAB Drain Line

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Since the whole FAB instructions are pretty generic and cover a range of engines and FI as well as carbs, it doesn't really address the issue of whether the fuel drain line for the FAB is even used for the FI 540. If it is, do people really install it as most pictures I see of RV10s FABs do not have one.

I installed the drain line in my -10. After 3 years, there are minor fuel stains inside the fab. I take that as an indication that the drain serves a useful purpose.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I installed 1/4" aluminum stub out then connected plastic from there on out with a short piece of rubber hose. Less chance that the aluminum tube will break at the fab. Roughened aluminum tube holds very well in fiberglass.

Drain hole? Yes. Drain line? No. I've never seen a fuel stain on my gear leg or inside the cowl.

-Rob

I put a drain line on. Just glassed it in. A little gunk seems to drain out but not very much. No problems.

The whole FAB thing looks like some kind of rodent when it's finished and sitting on the bench. A very strange assembly.

I put in a drain line per plans. Be advised, it is not perfect. The hardware for the alternate air door on the bottom forms a lip, and tends to dam up any gas falling straight down from over priming, etc. Makes a small puddle before it overflows, and only then to the drain.

Back