What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA turn around time...

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
Having received my documentation package from Van's in December about a week after picking up the powerplant kit, I filled out the forms and mailed them to the FAA in OK on December 28. Today I received the registration certificate. It indicates that it was issued on January 05, and it was in my mail today, Jan 11.
Man, that is fast service. I was expecting to wait weeks.
I was quite sure my paperwork was correct because of all of the discussions in this forum. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the discussions.
I was a little disappointed that they did not return the Bill of Sale and other paperwork, but I made copies of everything before sending so no harm done.

My 12 is making good progress, am about ready to hang the engine. I have secured a hangar at Bremerton National (PWT) and will be moving the plane there for final assembly probably by the end of February.

Tony

We sent the registration request in about the same time and got a letter back yesterday with an issue that we got fixed and that may save others some time in the future.

120186 is the RV-12 that I built and that is just weighting for the registration so that the DAR can do his work. One of the other builders here at Spruce Creek had just finished most of the work on a tail kit when he had some health issues and he felt that he wanted to fly instead of build so we came up with a plan to swap kits, it gets me moving on number two and he gets to fly much sooner while his health permits and I still have my Luscombe to fly.

I called the Registrars office before sending in the paper work to be sure we had everything we needed and that it was they way they wanted it and after about 15 minutes we agreed on just how it should be done. It was so done and mailed off on 28 December 2009.

So we had Van's issue a "Bill of Sale" in his name (more on this later) and made up a package for the FAA with the following:

1. AC FORM 8050-1 Aircraft Registration Application (this must be the three part FAA form)

2. AC FORM 8050-2 Aircraft Bill of Sale (properly executed by Van's)

3. AC FORM 8050-88A Affidavit of Ownership (properly executed by Van's)

4. A copy of the form letter confirming the reservation of N397JC to which I added the following by hand:

"To whom it may concern,

I, Vern J. Hendershott, Jr., release this reserved registration number, N397JC, to James M. Corley for use on RV-12 Sr. No. 120186.
(Signed) Vern J. Hendershott, Jr."

So yesterday we get the letter with the following operative paragraphs:

"We have received your correspondence concerning relinquishment of special registration number N397JC. However, we are unable to process your request.

A $ 10 fee is required to relinquish/reserve a special registration number.

The relinquishment letter must include the complete name and address of the party you are relinquishing to."

So I call the Registrar again and ask for a Supervisor and we spend about 30 minutes while Ms. Linda Ayach got up to speed on exactly what had transpired and she traced down all the papers in the FAA office, in the end she agreed that all the papers were OK and that they just needed the $ 10 which I have sent today.

She was very helpful but came up with another issue that perhaps others on the list can sort out. She noticed that the "Bill of Sale" from Van's was an "Aircraft bill of sale" instead of a "Kit bill of sale" as we would use for an EAB aircraft kit. In the end she agreed to accept the form as presented (if she had not it would have been returned and I would have put a line through "Aircraft" and written above it "Kit" and returned it and she would be happy and would have processed the registration then with the loss of about ten days).

The question here is with an ELSA RV-12 should it be an "Aircraft bill of sale" because Van's is the person selling it and they are also the manufacture, or should it be like the EAB process and the then we should have a "Kit bill of sale"? I can see it either way but to save much further work by all of us it may be a good idea to sort it out and if need be have Van's clear it with the Senior Executive at the Registrars office as kit ELSA aircraft are a new thing for them.

Best regards,
Vern

When should we send in the paper work?

I have all the kits now. Due to weather and work at my day job, I'm guessing I am 4-6 months from inspection and flying. Should I send in all the paperwork now, or wait until closer to inspection?: Thanks

The question here is with an ELSA RV-12 should it be an "Aircraft bill of sale" because Van's is the person selling it and they are also the manufacture, or should it be like the EAB process and the then we should have a "Kit bill of sale"? I can see it either way but to save much further work by all of us it may be a good idea to sort it out and if need be have Van's clear it with the Senior Executive at the Registrars office as kit ELSA aircraft are a new thing for them.

Best regards,
Vern
It should still be a "kit" bill of sale. Until it has a registration and an airworthiness certificate, it is not an aircraft.

I have all the kits now. Due to weather and work at my day job, I'm guessing I am 4-6 months from inspection and flying. Should I send in all the paperwork now, or wait until closer to inspection?: Thanks

Hi Mark,

The only reason not to go ahead and get it registered is if you live where the tax man will contact you just as soon as you do. If you wait you may not pay the tax so soon.

Best regards,
Vern

8050-2 -AIRCRAFT- Bill of Sale

She was very helpful but came up with another issue that perhaps others on the list can sort out. She noticed that the "Bill of Sale" from Van's was an "Aircraft bill of sale" instead of a "Kit bill of sale" as we would use for an EAB aircraft kit. In the end she agreed to accept the form as presented (if she had not it would have been returned and I would have put a line through "Aircraft" and written above it "Kit" and returned it and she would be happy and would have processed the registration then with the loss of about ten days).

Best regards,
Vern

The FAA is returning my aircraft registration application because I lined out "aircraft" and wrote in "kit" on the bill of sale 8050-2. They said the 8050-2 needed to agree with the 8050-88a affidavit in that the word "aircraft" is used and not "kit". So, when I get the packet back I am supposed to line out "kit" and write in "aircraft".

I usually have good luck with government forms, and from previous posts on this issue and the EAA kit I thought I was doing it right. The good news is they are caught up and processed the application in just a week, I hope they are speedy on my second attempt.

depends

Go ahead and pay it now to avoid penalties and interest. Taxes are considered due when the purchase is made.

This is not always true-depends on the state. In Indiana, the sales tax for an experimental aircraft built from either a kit or raw materials becomes due when the aircraft receives its airworthiness certificate (unless they were paid at the time each item was purchased) and are paid at the time the application for Indiana registration is made.

Jeff

Back