What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA registration time?

scottmillhouse

Well Known Member
How long is it currently taking to get your plane registered with the FAA? Have had a reserved number and they actually accepted the registered mail a few days ago that included all the Vans documentation of E-LSA for a RV-12. Need registration before I can start the certification process before first flight. Had planned on making it to Oshkosh but now it is looking like the paperwork will hold me up.

How long is it currently taking to get your plane registered with the FAA? Have had a reserved number and they actually accepted the registered mail a few days ago that included all the Vans documentation of E-LSA for a RV-12. Need registration before I can start the certification process before first flight. Had planned on making it to Oshkosh but now it is looking like the paperwork will hold me up.
Initial registrations typically take less than a week.

Just had a fellow who’s on my schedule for a DAR inspection get his in about ten days.
I may be misinformed but I thought you now have to have the plane registered. Then you can Login in to electronically start the certification process so a DAR has access to the information and then can schedule the inspection. In North Alabama we have not had a DAR for about 15 years and we have to get approval and bring someone it from out of state which makes it even more costly and challenging.

I may be misinformed but I thought you now have to have the plane registered. Then you can Login in to electronically start the certification process so a DAR has access to the information and then can schedule the inspection. In North Alabama we have not had a DAR for about 15 years and we have to get approval and bring someone it from out of state which makes it even more costly and challenging.
I didnt say I was doing his inspection until after he had his registration - he’s simply in my queue and I keep track of where they are in the process. Yes, it has to be registered before we can issue an AWC, but that doesn’t mean you cant get on a DAR’s schedule.

Also - the restrictions on DAR’s “territory” have essentially been removed, so you can pretty much contact any DAR you want an they can come in from anywhere.

Back