What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA inspection

bgl

I am waiting for the skyview avionic Have the plane all completed even painted Van's said it will be six weeks yet before it will be available Is there any place cards and stickers for fuel type, weight and ballance, papers and so forth which I will have to have How do I go about getting the plane inspected. Looking for things to do now before I get the avionic kit
N145Y RV12 of the future
gbg

Bayne - -

If you are building as E-LSA, you will get all the NECESSARY paperwork with the final kit - not before. Good luck.

John Bender

Paperwork

Contact Cynthia for paperwork at Van's: extension 301 or cynthias at vansaircraft dot com.
If you intend to register as E-AB, Van's should give you a bill of sale now. If you intend to register as E-LSA, then you must purchase all of the kits first before Van's will give you the required paperwork.
Next step is to register the aircraft.
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/register_aircraft/
Then the aircraft needs to be inspected. The FAA will do it free but you have to put up with the hassle and delays of dealing with the government.
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/index.cfm?state=SD
Or you can pay several hundred dollars to a a DAR to inspect it. Search for South Dakota in this document:
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/designees_delegations/designee_types/media/dardirectory.pdf
Then you probably have to register with your state government and pay state sales tax.
Joe

function code 47

Looking that the list of DARs, I see that the DAR in South Dakota does not have function code 47 and therefore can not inspect an E-LSA.
Joe

Guys, keep in mind that you are not required to use a DAR for your inspection. Some FAA inspectors can and will do the inspection for you. Call your nearest FAA FSDO office and ask if they will do it for you. Advantage - no fee if you can get the FAA to do it.

RE: FAA INspection

My local FISDO (Cincinnati) did the airworthiness inspection for free in about 3 hours. They did want an AP/AI (not necessarily a DAR) to do a condition inspection per Van's inspection list EXCEPT they did not require enine compression check, oil change, etc.

Wayne 12o241 N143WM

My local FISDO (Cincinnati) did the airworthiness inspection for free in about 3 hours. They did want an AP/AI (not necessarily a DAR) to do a condition inspection per Van's inspection list EXCEPT they did not require engine compression check, oil change, etc.
Wayne 12o241 N143WM

The original condition inspection can be done by the builder. An A&P/IA is not required, SPECIFICALLY STATED SO in FAA Order 8130.6, paragraph 152.f.(4) "Note: There is no requirement for airframe and powerplant mechanics to sign off on amateur-built airworthiness inspections. The aircraft builder's signature on Form 8130-6. block III, attests to the airworthiness of the amateur-built aircraft."

Last edited:
It sounds like it might be a good idea to start a sticky thread about regulation references you might to have handy for an inspection. Good one Mel!

Bob

I Know...

After talking with you several months ago Mel, I knew that the regs did not require an AI to do an inspection, but went ahead because:

1) I really didn't want to get into an argument with FAA guys who were very helpful

2) I figured another set of eyes would be a very good idea-- turned out we really hadn't missed anything but that was nice to know

3) My AI/AP cousin who did the annual on my AA-1 for years volunteered to do the condition inspection for free-- he'd already looked things over a few times during construction.

The Cincinnati FAA guys were really very helpful and nice-- highly recommend them to anyone in the area. Gave me my LSRM ticket at the same time since I'd been through the 16-hour course which saved me a trip to Cincinnatti

Wayne 143WM

Mel is correct. My FSDO guy only required that I make a logbook entry that I had done a condition inspection myself - not an A&P. It is not uncommon for different FSDO's to have different opinions on things however.;)

Back