What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F.S. Aero Engineering Books

David Paule

Well Known Member
I no longer need these books as I retired long ago and am now lightening my over-loaded shelves.

Strength of materials by Singer $5
This one is a rather good text. It's more about strength in structural elements than actual material properties.

Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures by Bruhn, $100
Bruhn is a classic. This was my mentor's copy. I'm hanging on to the later edition that I used in my own career. It's a comprehensive look, a text, at structural analysis for aerospace.

Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers 8th Ed. $50
If you need a quick background in any of the engineering fields, this is the book. But it's older than modern computational engineering.

Introduction to the Theory of Aeroelasticity by Y.C. Fung $10
Expect lots of math and theory.

Aeroelasticity by Bisplinghoff, Ashley and Halfman $10
Expect lots of math and theory. This is a well-known classic in the field.

Actual shipping costs are extra. If I can find suitable packaging for media mail, then that's cheap. If I wind up using Priority Mail boxes, it's more expensive.

Dave

I just checked my Marks Handbook. It is the seventh edition. I think I bought it while Neil was walking on the moon. I hate to think it will end up in a landfill someday. :cry:

I just checked my Marks Handbook. It is the seventh edition. I think I bought it while Neil was walking on the moon. I hate to think it will end up in a landfill someday. :cry:
Still have my Bruhn, barely holding together, bought new for $32.50 as an undergrad at USC. It's now 52 years old. Bought it right about the time I was at Rockwell observing frozen chickens being launched at what was to become the B-1's windscreen.

I don’t have the heart to part with my books!
I still have a lot of engineering and tech books but I was even worse than most. I still had some boxes with binders of class notes, homework, tests. etc. for a while. Don't know what the name of it is but I'm sure I've got some type of disorder.

Anyway, we were cleaning things out one day and one of the binders opened up; Advanced Aero I took when I started grad school. On the page was this big big matrixed, integral b@stard full of lower case latin letters. My ~10 year old daughter said "wow" when she saw it. I recognized my horrible hand writing but that was about it. Think I then choked back a little vomit that tried to make it's way up. At least I was able to throw that out. My daughter went into digital marketing and son into computer science so my tech library will probably also end up in the recycle center one day. At least the gas turbine and combustion related ones will be passed to someone here at work.

Back