What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-Drill bushings

jwilbur

Well Known Member
Just getting started with my Fuse kit. Page 25-3, step 4, says I need an F-Drill bushing. My kit came with two identical drill bushings. They both have an O.D. of 0.25" and an I.D. of just over 0.173" (bit size #17). The plans suggest there should be a drill bushing with an O.D. of 0.189" (for bit size #12) and an I.D. of 0.1285 for a #30 hole. Did Van's simply send me two of the same bushings where I should have gotten one as described? Or am I supposed to file one of these down as in one of the steps in the empenage kit? I'm thinking not since the I.D. will still be way too big.

Anyone else run into this?

-Joe Wilbur

Last edited:
Joe,
The drill bushing should fit in the center bulkhead #12 holes without any modification and accept a #30 bit without any slop. Sounds like you got the wrong ones. You can have one of mine if you want (if I can find it), I'll be at the hangar M-W-F this week after work.

I ran into not being able to find my F-drill bushing, so I used hardware store bolts and C-clamps to hold the gear mount securely in place and just drilled them with a 6 inch long #12 bit and lots of oil. Passed the check of being able to get AN3 bolts through all holes simultaneously without using a hammer.

Mine came with two bushings as well, and they worked as the plans called for. They were tight in the holes in the spar, and the #30 was snug inside. I'll measure the one I used when I get home tonight.

Back