What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-774 Aft Top Skin Issue? Tip-up

jmjula

Well Known Member
Is there anyone out there that will measure how far your skin extends fwd from the 706 bulkhead holes at the center (very top) of the F-774 for me?

Near the top of my fuselage, the F-774 skin extends fwd from the 706 bulkhead by 4 1/8" from the rivet holes to where the plexi will start showing. Looking at other sites this seems like it should be more like ~2-2.5". I am worried about this because forward most part of the skin sits very tight to the 632 channel, and I have to pull up pretty good to make room for the canopy plexi. While looking at other sites, I noticed that it seems the depth is shorter on most, though it is hard to know for sure as I am comparing the view to the size of a cleco. I may need to trim my skin if it wasn't built right. TIA.

From the centre line of the rivit holes for the f-706a frame to the front of the skin on my a/c is exactly 2".
So it does soun like something is amiss with your skin.

2" for me, too

Actually, mine is about 1/32" under 2", but close enough for goverment work.

You could trim yours, but I'd be curious if something else might be off on that skin. If it were me, I'd see if Van's could send me a new one.

That is what I figured. Mine is already drilled to the fuse (which has been dimpled), so it is hard to say if it is worth trying a new one or fix the existing one. I may try to find a local builder that hasn't riveted theirs on yet to match it up and mark a trim line. Thanks for checking.

Yep, right around 2" give or take. Probably be easier to just have Van's send you a replacement part. Since it's pre-punched, you can just open the holes to #40 and debur/dimple and it should fit just fine.

Weird problem to have...wonder how that happened?

That really doesn't sound right. Having all those holes prepunched for the fuselage and window, it would be a real pain to trim and redrill. Since you are in Portland, why not run that skin over to Van's and have them check it out.

Roberta

That really doesn't sound right. Having all those holes prepunched for the fuselage and window, it would be a real pain to trim and redrill. Since you are in Portland, why not run that skin over to Van's and have them check it out.

Roberta
After sleeping on it, that is exactly what I am planning do. Luckily I hadn't dimpled the skin yet, so I should be able to match drill the two skins together to get a good fit.

Apparently I have an original revision of this skin (no surprise, this is a sloooow build). I am still convinced my 'original' was built wrong, but Van's wouldn't replace it without paying since it 'has been improved'. I wasn't about to pay for it, so I traced the new on old, and with exception of the ends I will be able to get close to the new, though the height of the ends is shorter, so I can't fix that. Hopefully I can make it look good with the side skirts.

Back