What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-715 nutplates

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I missed the instruction in the manual about running a tap through the nutplates on the F-715 outside seat ribs. With the side skins on it is nearly impossible to do this. Any suggestions to make sure I don't break a screw in these nutplates?

Thanks,
Michael-

offset handle, and other ideas...

I think that you can still get to it... my tap handles will slide center, left, and right to get into small spaces. Alternatively use a long screwdriver (to get good leverage above the top side rail) and run a steel screw through it a couple of times before attaching the arm rests. If everything is already in place use a 90 degree head driver on the screw. Perhaps a torx head screw. With a phillips head, I have had better luck with stripping the heads using the high strength ones available from spruce.

Use Boelube

Put some Boelube or other lubrication on the screw first and it will work a lot easier. Once the initial screw is turned in to it, the nutplate will loosen up a bit.

crescent wrench

You could also use the bare tap (no tap handle) and turn the square end with a crescent wrench. It's slow, but it works. Don't ask me how I know. :eek: Put some tape on the side skins to avoid scratching them up.

Good luck,

Michael

Use a screw and Boelube (only). Running a tap through the threads will certainly open the threads making it easier to install, but remember that it will be easier to loosen as well.
The point of these nutplates, with their locking capability, is to apply a force to the sides of the fastener. Unless you plan on safetying these fasteners.:)
Regards.

Use a screw and Boelube (only). Running a tap through the threads will certainly open the threads making it easier to install, but remember that it will be easier to loosen as well.
The point of these nutplates, with their locking capability, is to apply a force to the sides of the fastener. Unless you plan on safetying these fasteners.:)
Regards.

The instructions actually recommend tapping the nutplates on the outside ribs.

Back