What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-712B/Longeron mistake

scollins

I'm New Here
I made a stupid mistake when I drilled the F-712B canopy decks to the longerons. I aligned the outboard edge of the deck with the outboard edge of the longeron, instead of aligning the outboard edge of the deck with the outboard edge of a piece of .032 taped to the longeron to simulate the skin (having the deck overhang by .032) as the instructions state. I asked Van's support about it and they said it was only a cosmetic mistake, and shouldn't cause any big problems later during construction, but that there may be some minor adjustments and misalignments I'll need to deal with later on.

Anyone else do this? It's hard to tell from the drawings just how big a headache this is going to cause. If any of you have made this same mistake and continued anyway, how bad were the alignment problems you had later on? Were the adjustments and problems significant, or relatively minor? If it's really going to cause me a lot of headache later on I'd prefer to just order a new set of longerons and redo them. Otherwise, I'll leave them as-is and build on.

I'd appreciate any insight any of you have on this.

Thanks.

Longerons

Steve,
It's been along time to remember, but I can't think of any misalignment that this would cause. It'll bring the fwd longeron decks inboard, but this shouldn't effect the instrument panel.
Charlie, Tucson AZ

I did it to and encountered no problems down the road. Nobody noticed unless I told them
Cheers, H.

Back