What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-704k Upright Cap Strip Warning

jlfernan

Well Known Member
Today I drilled my cap strips to the center section bulkhead. Came out pretty good. The reason I mention this is that thanks to someone that posted either on this site or another one(couldn't find it again), mentioned that for those of us building sliders, these caps should not be riveted on till the roll bar is mounted. Reason is that once the caps are in place, you would not have access to the nuts securing the roll bar. It's significant since the instructuions don't tell you when to install these and I would not be a happy camper if when it came time to mount the roll bar, I would have to remove these parts. Mine are just fitted not riveted. Also anyone venture a guess if these have any structural worth? I'd hate for them to be structural, even though they're flimsy, and have them secured with the cheesy blind rivets that Vans specifies.

sept2023030rb0.jpg

Last edited:
Left for last.

I'm pretty sure these were the last two items I riveted before I got my inspection. I remember having to snake the pop rivet tool under the edge of the panel to get the top few forward rivets.

IE, you can leave them off for a long time.

As for structural, vans puts them there for a reason. :)

Just found the posting. It was "Steve" from Utah back in 2006. Just feel he should get the credit for being observant.

It's now Sept 2007 and they're still not installed. Currently glassing, sanding, and filling the windshield intersection. I'll install the covers after the wings are installed.

Steve

I just don't like to cover up anything permanently, so I ordered some .040 stock so I could make access covers for the bulkhead caps. I've already had a need to access a bulkhead, so I'm pleased I did. By the way, unless someone else can prove otherwise, I believe I hold bragging rights for being the first builder to do this. No comment on the structural ramifications.

Last edited:
Back