What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-704G Shear Bar

wizard

Hi all. While attempting to install the F-704G Shear Bar to the F-704B Center Section Back Bulkhead via back-riveting, I apparently was not holding the assembly to the backplate and got a proud rivet. Drilled out but in the process probably enlarged the hole. Now I can't get the rivet to set because all of the expansion takes place in the long -14 hole and I end up with no shop head. Any suggestions?

I had no shop head to begin with using a -14. I ended up using -16's, and got a better shop head. You may have to order -16's though...

Those rivet's aren't structural at all - they are just to hold the bar in place until the close tolerance NAS bolts are installed with the wing spar. If your rivets hold the bar in place, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike is absolutely correct here...I couldn't even get the -14's to hold them in place though...

Thanks for pointing that out Mike!

Just for a little more information, here are some pics as to how my shop heads turned out. Not that much more than the rivet diameter itself!

showthumb.php

showthumb.php

Thanks

Thanks guys...I thought I might be able to leave the rivet out. Just wanted to get some other opinions.

Back