What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-6118 rudder pedal brace rivets

Moondog

Well Known Member
On the -7/7A plans, the F-6118 rudder pedal brace attaches to the F-601N-L firewall stiffener on the outboard side of the stiffener using AN 470 rivets. Does it matter which direction do the rivets go?

Either way, won?t these rivets create a gap between the stiffener and the firewall recess? Wouldn?t flush rivets with the flush side toward the inboard side of the stiffener allow for a better insert of the firewall recess?

No, it doesn't matter which side of the firewall stiffener the rivet head goes on. On my 9, which I'm given to understand is (nearly) identical to the 7 fuselage, the firewall recess doesn't sit tight to the firewall stiffener on the fuselage-side of the firewall. So no need to countersink. But cleco your recess in and take a look before you rivet. If yours rests upon the stiffener, then I say feel free to countersink the stiffener for a flush rivet.

The firewall recess doesn't sit flush with the firewall angles. There is a gap, so no worry on using non-flush rivets.

Back