What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1264 Control stick pushrods

rgmwa

Well Known Member
I'm just assembling the control stick pushrods (32-05), and am unsure how tight the locknuts (AN316-4R) should be. The Standard Aircraft Handbook says 30-40 in.lb torque for AN316 nuts, but does that still apply in this case where the threaded portion of the bearing is screwed into the tapped aluminium tube?
Has anyone used threadlocker on the fittings?
Advice appreciated.

Hmm... I called these AN316's `locknuts' but AC43.13 properly refers to them as `checknuts'. However no specific guidance seems to be given as to how tight they should be. What have others done? Is there a correct torque, or is `seems about right' good enough?

The answer....

from Vans, in case you were wondering:

"There is not a torque for this area, I usually go finger tight and then finish it off fairly firm with a wrench."

I'm just assembling the control stick pushrods (32-05), and am unsure how tight the locknuts (AN316-4R) should be. The Standard Aircraft Handbook says 30-40 in.lb torque for AN316 nuts, but does that still apply in this case where the threaded portion of the bearing is screwed into the tapped aluminium tube?
Has anyone used threadlocker on the fittings?
Advice appreciated.

Robert, I assembled mine without any threadlock on them. You may need to adjust them down the track, and thread lock would make it a real pain. I applied some heavy grease to cut down dissimilar corrosion possibilities, then as Vans says just firmly nipped them up!

Hi Marcus,
I thought torquing the nuts was probably unnecessary/undesirable, but when in doubt, ask.
Mind you, I was beginning to wonder what the other 7,500 or so builders out there had done. Everyone was very quiet for once :)
Good tip about the grease.
Many thanks
R.

Back