What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1211B Bulkhead Doubler Countersinking Page 10-03

BigJohn

Well Known Member
The instructions on Page 10-03 Step 3 Figure 2 tell us to countersink all the nutplate attachment holes for AN426AD3 rivets. I countersunk all the holes and checked them for depth with an AD3 rivet. When you get to Page 10-04 Step 10 Figure 2 you are told to use CCR-264SS-3-2 rivets for the four inner nutplates. After I installed and pulled these rivets I noticed that the heads are slightly raised (not flush.) This is probably not a good thing because this surface is where the vertical stabilizer (a rather important part!) is bolted on in a later step. I will drill out those eight rivets tomorrow and countersink the holes deeper. I think the point is, if the instructions on Page 10-03 had correctly stated what type of rivets all the holes should be countersunk for, this problem could have been avoided. Anybody else experienced this?

Depending on how high up the are sticking I would just take a die grinder and take some of the top of the rivet off. If it is only up .005 of an inch or so it can be smoothed out without replecement.

I always check the final rivet for flush before I pull or squeeze it. I did not notice the rivet change, but looking back I do remember some rivets not being flush when I placed the rivet in the hole and thinking I just did not counter sink then well enough and had to do more. Now I understand why.

Back