What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-12-4M Roller, Page 21-09 Step 3 and 5

DaveWelch

Well Known Member
Gang,
I've searched everyway I know how in the forums and don't see where anyone else has encountered this, so here goes...

Page 21-09 Step 3 says to "slide the BUSHING AL .197x.313 x 1.954 into the F-1204M Roller". After smoothing the edges of the Bushing, I had to DRIVE it into the Roller using wood blocks. Anyone else have similar experience?

Next it says to install them between the bulkheads and secure using the AN3-24A bolt into the nutplate.

No problem there, but it makes me wonder...
1) If the bushing is truly supposed to "slide" into the Roller, then I would expect that the AN24A bolt should be torqued into the nutplate (approx 24 in-lb) resulting in the Bushing being tight between the Bulkheads and the Roller spins on the Bushing.
2) Or, my Bushing and Roller are fine (interence fit) thus the Bushing/Roller combo spins on the AN24A "Axle" (with some light lube?) and the bolt should be left just loose enough to allow the bushing to spin. In this case seems like washers would be needed to avoid the spinning bushing from wearing into the bulkheads.

I've checked and rechecked the dimensions, even ordered new Bushings from Van's and compared with mine (they're the same).

So guys and gals, am I missing something? or just trying to make it too hard?

Will appreciate any ideas, suggestions, or answers you've gotten from Van's.

Thanks!
Dave
RV-12 #121.
Wings and Emp hanging in the Garage.
Fuse on the work table.
As always, more tools on order!

F-1204M Roller, Page 21-09 Step 3 and 5

Gang,
I've searched everyway I know how in the forums and don't see where anyone else has encountered this, so here goes...

Page 21-09 Step 3 says to "slide the BUSHING AL .197x.313 x 1.954 into the F-1204M Roller". After smoothing the edges of the Bushing, I had to DRIVE it into the Roller using wood blocks. Anyone else have similar experience?

Next it says to install them between the bulkheads and secure using the AN3-24A bolt into the nutplate.

No problem there, but it makes me wonder...
1) If the bushing is truly supposed to "slide" into the Roller, then I would expect that the AN24A bolt should be torqued into the nutplate (approx 24 in-lb) resulting in the Bushing being tight between the Bulkheads and the Roller spins on the Bushing.
2) Or, my Bushing and Roller are fine (interence fit) thus the Bushing/Roller combo spins on the AN24A "Axle" (with some light lube?) and the bolt should be left just loose enough to allow the bushing to spin. In this case seems like washers would be needed to avoid the spinning bushing from wearing into the bulkheads.

I've checked and rechecked the dimensions, even ordered new Bushings from Van's and compared with mine (they're the same).

So guys and gals, am I missing something? or just trying to make it too hard?

Will appreciate any ideas, suggestions, or answers you've gotten from Van's.

Thanks!
Dave
RV-12 #121.
Wings and Emp hanging in the Garage.
Fuse on the work table.
As always, more tools on order!

The bushing is a little bit longer than the roller and slides into the roller. The bushing is pressed between the bulkheads by the AN3 bolt. The bolt is torqued. The roller spins on the bushing (used some grease).
The bushings went in very easy with my kit.

rollers are seldom used

I remember that if I tightened the bolt too much, the roller would not turn, so I did not fully torque the bolt. Someone will correct me if wrong; I believe the roller should turn on the bushing. No matter how you do it, it will be ok. The rollers are non-structural parts. They only get used when you slide the wings on or off. (seldom) The 1 1/2 inch pins hold the wing spars securely whether the rollers turn or not. You could sand down the bushing or ream the roller or leave it as is.
Joe

Thanks, you experience matches mine then

I remember that if I tightened the bolt too much, the roller would not turn, so I did not fully torque the bolt. Someone will correct me if wrong; I believe the roller should turn on the bushing. No matter how you do it, it will be ok. The rollers are non-structural parts. They only get used when you slide the wings on or off. (seldom) The 1 1/2 inch pins hold the wing spars securely whether the rollers turn or not. You could sand down the bushing or ream the roller or leave it as is.
Joe

Thanks Joe,
Understand either way will work, I just couldn't make sense out of the situation the way the instructions read vs. what I'm seeing. I prefer that the plastic roller (nylon?) rotate on the bushing so I'm going to enlarge the hole in the bushing.
thanks!
Dave

The bushing went in easy?

The bushing is a little bit longer than the roller and slides into the roller. The bushing is pressed between the bulkheads by the AN3 bolt. The bolt is torqued. The roller spins on the bushing (used some grease).
The bushings went in very easy with my kit.

Thanks, I like the idea that the roller turns on the bushing (plastic to metal) rather than the Bushing/Roller turning on the bolt (metal to metal) and directly against the bulkheads. Glad to year your bushings went in easy, sort of confirms my suspicion. Now, to the drill press!
Best Regards,
Dave.

Back