What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EZ-PORT (Static) - Another Way To Do It ...

HFS

Well Known Member
Here's another way to make a fairly neat and compact static port, as an alternative to the "modified" rivet method ...

I use a universal head HiLok Pin - this one happens to be an HL20PB6-2, then reshape (and polish) the head as needed, drill the center hole (.078) and make a "cap" nut to allow take-up on the unthreaded portion of the shank. After installing (with 5/64" Allen wrench at "butt" end of pin), thread on the QD adapter size of your choice (1/8 & 1/4 shown) to attach static tubing.

This makes a neat, simple, rugged installation for the static port ...

HFS

Attachments

• EZ-PORT (Front View).jpg
    EZ-PORT (Front View).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • EZ-PORT (Side:Rear View).jpg
    EZ-PORT (Side:Rear View).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • EZ-PORT (Parts Breakdown).jpg
    EZ-PORT (Parts Breakdown).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 152
Have you verified no leaks?
On the example shown - no, but I have been using the same system on my Rocket for the past 21+ years and have never failed a pitot/static check at CI. So, I guess each one would have to be tested to determine integrity ...

HFS

Neat.

One thing to consider when shaping the head; make sure that the orifice is 90° to the dome surface - no radius is preferable. Deburring, rounding off, etc. will create essentially a bell mouth at the orifice and throw off the pressure readings.

I ran across this in a NACA study from way-back-when, but I cannot seem to find it now. Will update response when I do.

B

Neat.

One thing to consider when shaping the head; make sure that the orifice is 90° to the dome surface - no radius is preferable. Deburring, rounding off, etc. will create essentially a bell mouth at the orifice and throw off the pressure readings.

I ran across this in a NACA study from way-back-when, but I cannot seem to find it now. Will update response when I do.

B
No deburring - just polished the face after re-shaping the head and drilling through ...

Back