What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eyeball lighting in overhead console

dhmoose

Well Known Member
I purchased the eyeball lights from Stein and I would like to mount them on the slanted area of the forward portion of the Aerosport overhead console. That said, they seem like they would be in the way of the headset rack. So, I positioned everything and realized that it might be more ideal to mount the eyeball from the inside of the console instead of the outside as the instructions have you do. Has anyone tried this? It would look like a 3/4" hole with only the eyeball itself peaking through. You wouldn't see the black rim and it looks as though it wouldn't limit the angles that the eyeball can swivel to.

Check out the pics on the top link of my build log (Then ignore the fact that my log is 6 months behind and I am shamelessly using it to show the pics of my current dilemma! )

www.mykitlog.com/dhmoose

Thoughts?

David

Mine

Here's how I did mine. I haven't flown enough at night yet to know how bright they are, etc., but I think the locations will be great. I think you'll want the entire fixture on the outside, otherwise you may not be able to get the eyeball to move as easily. It's pretty small as it is and if you put it behind another 1/16" or more of material, it may not move very well. I also put all my eyeball lights on the dimmer so I could turn them down if need be. They all have their own individual on/off switches. YMMV.
RV101529.jpg

RV101528.jpg

Here is how I did it on my Tip up 7. I think you are asking if you can mount the bases behind the material. I mounted the bases behind my aluminum cover. Not sure how this would work on the 10 though.

The eyes can still be moved around no problem. I the base just needs to be think and pretty firm for this to work. Using countersunk screws is also possible.

Don't mind the section on my blog about loosing our dog. Just scroll down to the bottom for the pics.

Thanks

http://www.704ch.com/2011/10/couple-sad-days-for-us-and-work-on.html

Last edited:
Thanks Bryan, I appreciate the photos and advice.

Chad, you did what I was referring to and it sounds like it worked and you don't feel like it limited the movement of the eyeball. Good to know. I'll play around and see what I come up with.

Thanks!

Back