What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Extra " Hole?

JohnF

Well Known Member
Wing skins page 17-01 shows W1203-L has a seemingly extra hole on the outboard top skin just ahead of the main spar about an inch or so outboard of the joint between the outboard and mid wing skin.

Also that hole shows up on page 17-04 Fig 1 and again in Fig 3.

I suspect it is a manufacturing thing...a mirror image of the skin used for the bottom of the wing where that hole is for the tie down ring screw but I can't be sure.

I also suspect we should just 'plug' it with an LP4-3 and forget it.

What's your take?

As I recall

That is right above the tie-down bracket. Some did not want to put in a rivet. I did. It is not hard to find if you want to put in a lift hook later.

John Bender

Van's Red Rv-12 Demo

I looked at Van's red RV-12 demo at Sun 'n Fun and noticed those rivet holes were there ... empty ... and unriveted.

Last edited:
Like John said, the "extra" hole is right over the tie down on the under side, and it is tapped there also to accomidate a 3/8" x 16 TPI eye bolt. You can enlarge the hole and use it for an additional tie down to secure the wing, if you remove it from the plane and put it in a trailer. If you don't plan on using it for that, stick a LP4-3 in it and call it good. You can always drill out the rivet and enlarge the hole latter if you need to use it.

Last edited:
Drill now or later?

I am just getting ready to install the left wing outbd upper wing skin and am wondering about drilling out to 3/8" the hole over the tapped spar tie-down. In talking to Van's, this hole could be used for rigging the wing single-handed using a engine type of hoist, as well as for securing the wings in a trailer, although none of that is a done deal yet. If you drill it later you might leave a few chips in the wing even if you use a vacuum and grease on the bit. The few chips in the wing are probably not a big deal but it would just be a lot easier to do it before putting on the skin.
Anyone have any further thoughts?

Tony

Back