What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra hole - Best Remediation Option?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Well, despite all the reading of what-not-to-do, I did it any way. After getting a nice rythm going today dimpling the skins on the Horizontal Stabilizer, I created an extra hole. To add to it, it's along the rear of the skin that lays on the rear most Spar. Because of the location adding an "oops" rivet isnt an option from what I can tell. Best I can figure is to smooth out the back side to let it lay flush on the edge of the spar and then fill it with body filler during painting. Any other option I might be over looking?

IMG_0562.JPG

No biggie

If it just so happens to sorta line up with the other rivets (i.e it falls on the rear spar in an acceptable location then I might be tempted to dimple (countersink) the rear spar and have and extra helper rivet.

The fill the head with filler and sand flat.

if not I would do exactly as you are suggesting..Hammer it flat and fill it.

No one will ever know either way.

Frank

Based on your picture, the extra dimple/hole will lie directly over the vertical portion of the rear spar. An oops rivet won't work. I'd use a rivet squeezer to squeeze the dimple flat, and then body filler prior to paint.

No big deal! Your plane will look great when it's done, and you'll be the only one who knows there's an extra hole back there!

Based on your picture, the extra dimple/hole will lie directly over the vertical portion of the rear spar. An oops rivet won't work. I'd use a rivet squeezer to squeeze the dimple flat, and then body filler prior to paint.

No big deal! Your plane will look great when it's done, and you'll be the only one who knows there's an extra hole back there!

Also put a slight countersink in from the back of the skin after you hammer the dimple flat.

The filler will then have something to grip in the undercut created.

Back