What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra Fuel

donahuedc

I'm still trying to decide which model to build but I think that the 9a would suit my type of flying the best. I occasionally take trips to the Bahamas though, and would like extra fuel for these trips. I emailed Hotel Whiskey Aviation about the possibility of ER tanks for the 9. They replied that they were going to work on it this summer. If they could get 7-8 gallons then they would go for it. These tanks seem to get great reviews so I'd probably go for them if they succeed. But, has anyone tried another avenue for more fuel in their 9/9a?
Thanks, Don

I have a -9A project in my shop that has custom built tip tanks. These hold about 8 gals each. They are very similar to the Jon Johanson tanks. Has not been flown. The tanks were built by a guy over at Hicks Airfield in Ft. Worth.
Mel...DAR

Research

Don:

I have HW tanks in my 8. I looked at The Aussie wing tips, looked at extending my wing tanks and even looked at the wing extension tanks. The best bet is the HW tanks. Easy to install during construction and straight forward. Got mine through SafeAir. Both groups are good people and keep their promises. Call them and offer to be their test case in exchange for a discount.

Fuel Bladder

Some have talked about using a removeble fuel tank that will sit in the baggage compartment. Run some tubing back to the baggage compartment from the fuel selector. and burn it first When you don't need the extra fuel, remove the tank and cap the fitting. This has always sounded like the alternative I would go for. Good luck.

Back