What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra Credit Deburring

BigD

Well Known Member
I spent a good two hours filing the bumps down and scotchbriting smooth the edges of, oh, about 52 pieces of aluminum...looked pretty nice. Then later realized these spacers will not be part of the final airplane. The good news is the grooves in the scotchbrite wheel aren't so deep now; maybe I can make a necklace or something.

==dave==
fuse kit in progress
reading a little further ahead now...

Ha... You win some you lose some that's for sure. The real question though is did you spill any blood doing it :). The best part though is you'll eventually forget these sorts of things!

I spent a good two hours filing the bumps down and scotchbriting smooth the edges of, oh, about 52 pieces of aluminum...looked pretty nice. Then later realized these spacers will not be part of the final airplane. The good news is the grooves in the scotchbrite wheel aren't so deep now; maybe I can make a necklace or something.

==dave==
fuse kit in progress

Dave,

I'm just starting my fuse kit. Mind giving a little heads up to prevent some others from wasting the same amount of time? What section of the plans will we find these 52 pieces of aluminum that need not be filed, smoothed, and deburred?

I guess the wing spacers

I bet it is the spacers you put between the spars to simulate the wing spar when joining the 2 halves of the fuselage.

==dave==
fuse kit in progress

Well that's a new one. :D On a releated note, if I had a dollar for everytime I thought I was done and bolted on or screwed something in-place only to realize later I either left something off or got ahead of myself and had to undo it, I'd be rich. Case in point, I was kind in between tasks this past weekend so elected to hook up my throttle and mixture cables to the servo and associated cable brackets. I was real proud of the install and that the controls moved just the way they're supposed to. That is until I realized that I forgot to pass the FWF sides of the FW shields over the cables. Now I get to undo them both slip the shields over the cables and reinstall them the next time I'm out at the hangar. Not the worse thing I've ever done in that regard, but it just drains you when you realize that you've got to back track -- once again. :rolleyes:

Bill's right, it was those spacers, section 28 Joe, but I feel fairly certain you wouldn't do the same thing. I'm not going to call it a mistake, but it does feel pretty dough headed.

==dave==

quite common

I think its quite common. I recall doing that as well. In fact I think those are responsible for excessive wear and tear on my scotch brite wheel!!!

Back