What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra baggage compartment with door?

speyers

Well Known Member
I thought I saw some posts on this at one time but cant find them. Has anyone ever tried taking andvantage of the space behind the normal baggage area? I know in the RV-8 they have baggage space behind the read seat back, would this idea work in a -7? Also, how about an external door on the side of the fuselage to pull bags in and out of?

Based on the aft CG restrictions, I could see it as a real problem. Some 7's with light weight props already have a baggage problem when the fuel load burns down. I've seen a few racks for golf clubs and skis, but that's about it.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I've seen a couple of baggage shelf mods.

As you contemplate this, remember, that aft bulkhead and its cover are major structural members.

One guy put a shelf in across the entire width of the aircraft level with the top of the lower bulkhead cover that went aft to the next bulkhead. He then put a hinge on the upper section and made that so it would close.

Other modifications I have seen go back further or along just one side.

As LA said, what you can put back there is very limited due to CG restrictions. However, the people who have done this tend to carry things like sleeping bags, fly rods, and other long & light stuff. Golf clubs are an issue because they are heavy! If you want it for that, make sure the heads are up against your seat back and just let the end of your travel bag stick aft AND check your CG!

Whatever you do, remember that you have to army crawl into the tail cone for your condition inspection so don't block it off completely.

I made one....

I thought I saw some posts on this at one time but cant find them. Has anyone ever tried taking andvantage of the space behind the normal baggage area? I know in the RV-8 they have baggage space behind the read seat back, would this idea work in a -7? Also, how about an external door on the side of the fuselage to pull bags in and out of?

I used 3 pieces of .020 and 3 pieces of J-channel. Note the nutplates installed along the longaron. The floor is in two piece otherwise you can remove them, with you need to do during inspections.

I computed a 10 lb limit and tested by placing 50 lb of lead shot in there on the ground. I thought that I would us it for sleeping bag or pillows, but never did. Last annual I took it out, so that I wouldn't hit my head on it every time I got in the back of something. I also saved myself 2 lb when I removed it.

It you need more pics from below I could send them to you.

Kent

Back