What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extension cord for transponder

bob888

Well Known Member
Need advice about remote mount transponder (GTX23-ES). I plan to put it behind the baggage bulkhead but the Garmin harness is not long enough. The mounting rack takes a high density (3 row) Dsub connector. I can cut the Garmin cable and use two pairs of standard density Dsubs to make an extension cord or I can use one pair of high density connectors and not cut the Garmin cord. I have not worked with the high density connectors but assume they require a special crimper and seem to have smaller pins. How have others solved this problem?

Doing what you suggest adds 6 points of potential failure to each wire. I would recommend either running new wires from the source all the way back to the transponder, or at the very most, put one intermediate connector (standard density is fine). To do this I would cut the pins off the wires near the connector, repin to SD and put in a connector, then add a mating connector with the correct length of wire to run the rest of the way to the transponder and pin those ends HD and insert in the connector.

Can you explain why you can't mount it up front and run a coax back to your antenna, which I'm assuming is in the tailcone?

That's where I located mine bob888. The wiring is pretty straight forward and no,,,I would not splice the harness you have. Just build a new one, or have one built for you. The added weight back there worked out good for my CG also.

Back