What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extended RTV nozzle tips

Gnvflyer

Has anyone found a source of extended nozzle tips for RTV tubes?

I'm sealing up my baffles and have some areas where something like this would really help me to do a better job.

I use a short piece of plastic tube from the hardware store.

The additional length will require a lot more force to squeeze the trigger.

If the extension tube slips off, I use an old rivet mandrel heated with a propane torch and shoved through the tube/tip to pin the extension on. Safety wire or most anything similar should work fine.

Try a piece of the appropriate size tygon tubing, pressed on over the existing nozzle. Just remember there is a catch here......if the total nozzle length is too long, you will not be able to squeeze the RTV through it no matter how hard you squeeze. Ask me how I know. ;) (I tried using RTV in a caulking gun and my extended nozzle trick......the RTV wouldn't flow through the tube and just blew out the back of the RTV tube.)

Looks like Mike beat me to the answer, but without my "blowout" problem.

Cheap syringes from on-line, hobby store, farm supply, etc. Lots of sizes to choose from and many come with extended and/or curved tips. Much easier to control flow and place precisely than squeezing a tube. Also super cheap.

If you don't buy hem for this application, get some anyway. Lots of uses and added convenience.

I tried slipping a tube over and securing it with screws. It worked to some extent but there is going to be some leakage and more waste. Its almost a 2 person job to do it properly.

There are also some aerosol propelled RTV that might help doing it alone but they are almost double the money for the same volume.

Tim

Has anyone found a source of extended nozzle tips for RTV tubes?

I'm sealing up my baffles and have some areas where something like this would really help me to do a better job.
Here's One Way ...

The Aviation Aisle of the McMaster catalog - lists these extensions that can be "adapted" to fit the taper of standard caulking tubes (may not be the same as smaller RTV type - but probably still adaptable (somehow).

The nozzle & extension shown have 1/4 NPT threads. So, by lightly "threading" the tapered tip of the tube with a 1/4 pipe threading die, and joining the tube to extension with a 1/4 npt coupling (can be turned down in diameter for a cleaner look), you can have a longer "nose" for discharge.

I only had the nozzle & extension as separates, but nozzles are listed by themselves in lengths up to 6"

Not cheap, but it depends how important it is to you to do the job.

HFS

Attachments

• Caulking Tube Extension .jpg
    Caulking Tube Extension .jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
My go to sealant for baffling gaps is Permatex ultra black.
It is available in a caulking gun style tube for a reasonable cost considering the amount in the tube, sticks very well to any clean surface, and with the caulking gun it is easy to get it to flow through a reasonable length extension hose. I tape the hose to a piece of scrap 1/4” aluminum brake line so I can easily bend it to whatever shape I need for a particular location.

My go to sealant for baffling gaps is Permatex ultra black.
It is available in a caulking gun style tube for a reasonable cost considering the amount in the tube, sticks very well to any clean surface, and with the caulking gun it is easy to get it to flow through a reasonable length extension hose. I tape the hose to a piece of scrap 1/4” aluminum brake line so I can easily bend it to whatever shape I need for a particular location.
I had planned to use Ultra Black in the squeeze tube, but will probably go ahead and get the big caulking gun tube size for ease of application. Looks like extension nozzles are readily available for the big tubes.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Back