What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extended Fuel

tberns

I'm New Here
I have been looking at RV10s, but one concern is fuel capacity. Not that I plan on sitting in an airplane for 7hours, but most of the flying is into and around Mexico, and I'd like enough fuel to go round trip or multiple stops without fueling. I've heard of 70gal+ and even 100gal+ RV10s. Is anyone selling extended fuel kits and what does Vans think of them? Would there likely be any problems with the wings with such oversize tanks. Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated. Thanks

safeair1.com

I think its hotel wiskey that makes them.. might read up on this site about
that, but those guys are awesome if you ask me..

Danny..

There was a professional builder that installs 2 RV-10 tanks in each wing giving it a capacity of 120 gallons. Not sure Vans was excited about it due to many concerns about CG & spin characteristics, but I know of one that is flying, and it is currently for sale.

Last edited:
Outboard tanks

Tberns, Although I haven't done this (yet) I think it would be easy to use one or two outer wing bays as aux tanks if you're not constrained with modifying a completed structure.

I'm talking about using volume between the tip wing rib and one or two ribs inboard of that. Lots of volume there. This would give you a wet wing tank boxed by the main spar, rear spar, tip rib, and the rib used inboard of that. Of course, any holes or gaps in the ribs and spars would have to be closed up but that should be easy. Access could be had through removing the wing tip, and/or by putting flush panels on the bottom surface of the wing. Aux tank bottom skins would require stiffeners to add panel stiffness to support the fuel loads.

Fuel in the aux tanks could be pumped into the mains after main fuel is burned down enough to make room. I like the idea of a positive transfer of fuel -vs- trying to do a gravity system. The little Facet pumps would do nicely.

Vents could be done by tee connecting both the mains and aux tanks together in the wingtip. If done correctly, the vent system could double as a closed loop return to the auxes if the mains filled up when transferring. At least you wouldn't pump your fuel overboard. This would also get rid of putting fuel vent lines in the fuselage.

I don't know details about the 10's wing structure, but its probably similar to the 3/4/6/7/8/9. If so, I believe this mod would work nicely.

Just some thoughts....

Last edited:
extra fuel

Yes, it is quite easy to add fuel to the wing by blocking off several of the out board leading edge bays and adding a rear baffle to each of the wing bays you block off.

Doing this you can add fuel quantity to the aux tanks, kind of neat watching the mains fill and the aux tanks empty. I think the safe air guys give you the option of an optical fuel low sensor, this will also work, but I think DAR's like to see fuel quantity.

Yes, it is quite easy to add fuel to the wing by blocking off several of the out board leading edge bays and adding a rear baffle to each of the wing bays you block off.

I can see it now, air to air RV refueling! We can call it the RV-10T (T = Tanker ;))

Back